Had blood work done for tummy tuck I'm concerned but dr isn't. Should I postpone?

I had bcc and which ever blood testing is done for tummy tuck. My platelet count was 480000 should I postpone surgery ? The dr doesn't seem to be worried. My hemoglobin (iron) was slightly low 11.5 everything else was normal.

High Platelet Count and Tummy Tuck

+2

Dear Amypatton, There are many reasons for an elevated platelet count.  Some of these conditions are chronic and others are short-lived.  Without an evaluation by your primary care or a hematologist, it is hard to say what is the etiology of your high platelet count.  

An important thing to remember is that your platelet count was elevated only on this one test.  One of the first things your primary care will often do is to recheck the test.  A single blood test is like a snapshot; it only records what the numbers were for that moment.  But when looking at issues such as platelet numbers, you really need the "video" which means  you need a series of blood tests to know if the condition is chronic or not.

Given that your surgery is elective and you are concerned, talk with your plastic surgeon and your primary care doctor about your concerns and see what they recommend.  Best of luck.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Platelet Count High Pre Op TT

+2
In general, if a surgeon orders a platelet count for pre admission testing, the surgeon is looking to see if the platelet count is low, which could indicate a bleeding problem. Your hemoglobin is a little low before a major surgery. If you are not comfortable with your surgeon's response, you may want to consult with your family doctor or internist. Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Lab results

+1

I don't think you should be worried, if your Doctor gave you clearance then that should be a good decision. The iron level should always be a 12 because a surgery always lowers that number down. Take Iron tablets and eat plenty of greens.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Blood work for tummy tuck #tummytuck

+1

Not knowing your health at all I can not advise you about having your surgery. What I can tell you is those numbers do not overly concern me. Being that said, it also depends on your age and health status as well as the overall procedure at hand. You should trust in your doctor that they are looking out for your best interest. If you have doubts I would seek a second opinion. Try asking your primary care physician how they feel.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Blood count

+1

Your hemoglobin is a bit on the low side which is not uncommon in men starting women, but not so low that it will require postponing the surgery.  Your surgeon may recommend you take vitamins with iron to help this. The platelet count is high but not indicative of any specific problem and will be of no concern.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

High Platelet Count and Surgery

+1
Your platelet count seems a bit high and is a most likely a chronic condition. If you wish to be reassured, I suggest that you speak with your internist or a hematologist who can converse with you and your plastic surgeon if they have concerns.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS