Will I Have Blood Related Problems After Gastric Bypass Surgery

I am due to have gastric bypass surgery in 24 days and am worried. I have been advised that several years down the line I will experience blood related problems. Is it true that there can be blood related complications? If so, what kind of complications and are they serious?

Nutritional and Metabolic Consequences of Gatric Bypass (Weight Loss) Surgery

+1
You are about to undergo a very serious and life changing operation. Yet, your question discloses a serious lack of understanding of what you are about to have. I strongly urge you to have this and ALL questions you may have fully answered by your surgeon. As a summary, there are MANY surgical ways in which surgeons can change your intestines to bring about weight loss. They can be divided into one of 3 classes: - RESTRICTIVE (the stomach is made much smaller not allowing a large food intake) - MALABSORPTIVE (large segments of the intestines are passed over thereby greatly reducing the amount of nutrients taken up by the body) - BOTH Restrictive and Malabsorptive (Roux en Y Gastric Bypass) If you havde an operation that falls into one of the last 2 groups you will NOT be able to absorb sufficient nutrients from the food. If not supplemented and followed up you could definitely end up with severe anemia. Speak with your surgeon. Dr. Peter Aldea

Anemia after gastric bypass

+1

Gastric bypass, depending upon the type you have, changes the way your body absorbs nutrients.  Some nutrients are needed to prevent anemia and other things, like vitamin deficiencies.  Your surgeon should review your postoperative dietary and supplement needs in detail, so you can prevent or treat any potential problems.  The benefits of massive weight loss are so great that they tend to overshadow potential complications. 

Carmen Kavali, MD

Blood problems or anemia following gastric bypass or bariatric surgery

+1

You should discuss and have a full understanding of this prior to surgery. Generally the risk of this is low and may be more related to the risk of transfusion. Malabsorption syndromes can occasionally produce iron deficiency anemia or pernicious anemia.