Is Low Blood Pressure a Problem When Getting a Tummy Tuck?

I have low blood pressure, 96/56 is about the normal range, and I am worried that my doc wont let me have surgery because of this. Can this be a problem? I know high blood pressure can but this is normal for me. I dont get over 105 or over 60....ever! I think when I might have had 115/62 one time and it was right before I went in to give blood. I am hoping that my anxiety and nervousness over getting a tummy tuck will make my blood pressure "appear normal."

Low blood pressure and tummy tucks

+1

Aloha!  Thanks for the question.  Your low blood pressure is not a contraindication for a tummy tuck, but your surgeon will need to monitor how tight the tuck should be.  Excessive tension on the muscle imbrication can lead to restriction of blood flow in the abdomenal vena cava and venous return to the heart.  Please discuss this with your surgeon as your safety comes first.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Low blood pressure and tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question. In general, there is more risk to surgery in patients with high blood pressure. Patients with normal blood pressure and have no history of cardiac problems usually go through surgery with no problems and that includes tummy tuck. You may want to get a clearance letter from your primary care physician if this becomes an issue. I wish you all the best.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Lower Blood Pressure is not a problem

+1

Hi there-

As long as you do not have symptoms or complications related from your blood pressure, there should be no reason this should compromise your tummy tuck.

If you are still in doubt, ask your primary doctor to evaluate you before surgery.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Blood pressure

+1

Congratulation on your blood pressure. It is excellent  and it will help your longevity. Blood pressure is not considered low as long as you are asymptomatic. In an accredited sugical facility, you will be seen by a board certified anesthesiologist who will monitor you blood pressure through out the procedure , so you do not have to be concerened. If you are over age 45, I do recommend in my practice to get a physical by an internist and get cleared for surgery.         

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Blood pressure and tummy tuck / Presion arterial y abdominoplastia

+1

As long as your asymptomatic you should tolerate the procedure well. That blood pressure is your normal pressure.  Remember that you need a medical clearance prior to surgery.  Do NOT take any medicines, herbal products,diet products etc unless approved by your medical doctor and your surgeon.

Good luck, and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Mientras sea usted asintomatico  podra tolerar bien al procedimiento. Esta es su presion normal. Acuerdese de que usted va a necesitar un ok de su doctor de cabecera antes de la cirugia. No tome ningun tipo de medicamento, productos naturales o dieteticos a menos que esten aprobados por su doctor primario o cirujano.
Suerte y gracias por la pregunta

Atentamente,

Anire Okpaku MD

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS

Tummy Tuck and Low Blood Pressure?

+1

Assuming you are in good health, “low blood pressure” will likely not be an issue for you. Depending on your age and/or any medical conditions, you may benefit from seeing your internist or family practitioner prior to undergoing the procedure ( for “medical clearance”).

Low blood pressure and tummy tuck surgery

+1

Hello Katt. The answer to your question will depend on your complete medical history. Your plastic surgeon or anesthesiologist may want you to get a medical clearance before surgery. This means a primary care doctor will evaluate you and decide if you are a good candidate for general anesthesia. Some people have low blood pressure and a low heart rate because they're in very good shape, such as runners.  If that is your situation, and you're otherwise healthy, then you're probably OK to proceed with surgery. But of course you need to discuss all of this with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon