Reducing Blood Pressure before Breast Reduction

Can I take a xanax to relax n lower my pressure or will it effect the anesthesia? My preop was on the 17th, n my pressure was 186/126, I do have hypertension, but it has never been this high before. My PS is making me get clearance from my PA, in order to move forward. Had my appt with my PA yesterday n my pressure is still high at 162/118, still not good, so they change my meds n gave me a stronger dosage, my pressure was good for the first time in a long time,it was 126/70,please respond.

Reducing blood pressure before breast reduction?

Hello! Thank you for your question! There are a few medical comorbidities that contribute to a higher risk during any surgical procedure including infections, wound complications, delayed wound healing, bleeding, anesthetic risks, etc. Hypertension is one that is known to have an increased risk during a procedure. There are a number of both systemic and local host factors that can contribute to high blood pressure. Hypertension itself is not a true contraindication to having any surgical procedure, but it should always be controlled. Risks that coincide with high blood pressure, such as coronary artery disease, pulmonary issues, varicosities, etc. can certainly be worrisome as the risk for other issues including MI, stroke, etc. can be severe. Complications such as bleeding and postoperative hematomas may be increased and hemostasis obtained well.

That being said, well-controlled high blood pressure should equate a minimal increased risk for the above and surgical procedures still safe and a reasonable decision. You should ensure adequate blood pressure control always, but also obtain medical clearance from your primary care physician that you are at an acceptable risk for undergoing a surgical procedure. For elective or aesthetic procedures, your surgeon may want to get you to a baseline level prior to consideration for a procedure. Discuss all of your medical comorbidities and medication with your surgeon prior and discuss these risks. Also, discuss this with your anesthesiologist as proper monitoring and medications will be watched closely. This procedure should still be very safe for you and hope for an uncomplicated course with an excellent result! Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

8900 E. Raintree Dr.
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Blood pressure normalized preop breast reduction

Normal blood pressure is vital to your overall health but also to minimize the risk of a hematoma from your breast reduction.  Hematomas require further surgery and can lead to a poorer result from scar tissues.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Blood Pressure Management before Breast Reduction?

You are correct in that management of your hypertension is critical prior to undergoing any surgery. You should receive medication advice from your physicians in person ( as opposed to online).

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Breast reduction with high blood pressure (hypertension)

There are many more serious consequences to having persistent hypertension when compared to large breasts so prioritize and get that evaluated and treated first.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Blood Pressure and Breast Reduction

In my opinion, solely based upon your excellent postings, I would delay my operation until my BP was in "good" control. The risks far out weigh the benefits of the breasts reduction if you are an uncontrolled hypertensive. Like - bleeding, hematoma, stroke, infection, death, etc. Surgery is best when done if you are in good condition. Your elevation in blood pressure scares me! Think about it! From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski, 305 598 0091

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

High blood pressure and surgery

It sounds like you need an official medical work-up and possibly medication management of your high blood pressure before having your surgery.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

High blood pressure needs control before cosmetic surgery

Any elective surgery, including cosmetic procedures should always follow a medical screening examination and medical clearance when necessary. High blood pressure should be under control to reduce the risk during anesthesia, and the risk of bleeding and bruising after your procedure.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016

High blood pressure and surgery

A breast reduction is an elective surgical procedure.  Even if your medications have been changed, and your blood pressure is under better control recently, it would not be unreasonable to check this on several occasions and  ensure that your condition is optimized prior to surgery to minimize the risk of complications.  

Stephen Delia, MD

20 Tremont St
Duxbury, MA 02332

Blood Pressure Should Be Under Control for Surgery

Your blood pressure should be in a normal range for any elective surgery including breast reduction, if at all possible.  Your present blood pressure (126/70) should not present a problem, but most plastic surgeons would refuse to operate with a blood pressure of186/126.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

4001 Kresge Way
Louisville, KY 40207

Your blood pressure is definitely too high. This should be thoroughly explored and treated before surgery since you risk anesthetic and general health complications (i.e. heart attack and stroke) as well as surgical complications such as increased bleeding and hematoma.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

462 N. Linden Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212