Reducing Blood Pressure before Breast Reduction

Can I take a xanax to relax n lower my pressure or will it effect the anesthesia? My preop was on the 17th, n my pressure was 186/126, I do have hypertension, but it has never been this high before. My PS is making me get clearance from my PA, in order to move forward. Had my appt with my PA yesterday n my pressure is still high at 162/118, still not good, so they change my meds n gave me a stronger dosage, my pressure was good for the first time in a long time,it was 126/70,please respond.

Blood pressure normalized preop breast reduction

+1

Normal blood pressure is vital to your overall health but also to minimize the risk of a hematoma from your breast reduction.  Hematomas require further surgery and can lead to a poorer result from scar tissues.

Blood Pressure Management before Breast Reduction?

+1

You are correct in that management of your hypertension is critical prior to undergoing any surgery. You should receive medication advice from your physicians in person ( as opposed to online).

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Breast reduction with high blood pressure (hypertension)

+1

There are many more serious consequences to having persistent hypertension when compared to large breasts so prioritize and get that evaluated and treated first.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/warning.php?link=chicago-photo-gallery/breast-reduction

Blood Pressure and Breast Reduction

+1

In my opinion, solely based upon your excellent postings, I would delay my operation until my BP was in "good" control. The risks far out weigh the benefits of the breasts reduction if you are an uncontrolled hypertensive. Like - bleeding, hematoma, stroke, infection, death, etc. Surgery is best when done if you are in good condition. Your elevation in blood pressure scares me! Think about it! From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski, 305 598 0091

High blood pressure and surgery

+1

It sounds like you need an official medical work-up and possibly medication management of your high blood pressure before having your surgery.

High blood pressure needs control before cosmetic surgery

+1

Any elective surgery, including cosmetic procedures should always follow a medical screening examination and medical clearance when necessary. High blood pressure should be under control to reduce the risk during anesthesia, and the risk of bleeding and bruising after your procedure.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/breast-reduction

High blood pressure and surgery

+1

A breast reduction is an elective surgical procedure.  Even if your medications have been changed, and your blood pressure is under better control recently, it would not be unreasonable to check this on several occasions and  ensure that your condition is optimized prior to surgery to minimize the risk of complications.  

Blood Pressure Should Be Under Control for Surgery

+1

Your blood pressure should be in a normal range for any elective surgery including breast reduction, if at all possible.  Your present blood pressure (126/70) should not present a problem, but most plastic surgeons would refuse to operate with a blood pressure of186/126.

Hypertension

+1

Your blood pressure is definitely too high. This should be thoroughly explored and treated before surgery since you risk anesthetic and general health complications (i.e. heart attack and stroke) as well as surgical complications such as increased bleeding and hematoma.

Blood pressure prior to elective surgery

+1

A patient's blood pressure and medical status should be optimized before elective surgery.  If your blood pressure is 180/120 a few days before surgery, you are not ready to have surgery.

Patients often think that they only get hypertension when they are aggravated or anxious, so that doesn't really count.

It does.

The blood vessels don't know the difference between anxiety and other manifestations of high blood pressure; they leak either way if the patient becomes hypertensive.  This can lead to bruising, bleeding, hematomas, infections, and poor surgical results. 

Web reference: http://www.drbrent.com/index.php