Blood in Mucus 2 Weeks Post-Op Rhino, Should I be Worried?

I had revision (closed) rhinoplasty 2 weeks ago - replaced my old goretex implant with a new one. I "snorted" mucus (clear) from my nose that had blood in it. I did it about 6 times.. each time the amount of blood was less. There is no blood in my nose when I clean it with a q-tip wet with purified water. Is this anything to be worried about? If not, how long will this persist. That said, I have been having a slight sore throat the last new days. Is this related?

Blood in mucus 2 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

In general, you may experience the following after rhinoplasty:

1) Swelling

2) Bruising

3) A blood-tinged nasal discharge that may persist for 48-72 hours

If the nose is not irrigated regularly for the first two weeks after surgery, there may be some blood present. Avoid blowing the nose excessively, as this can lead to additional bleeding. I would not worry too much about this, as the nose does not appear to be continuously bleeding. However, I would advise following up with your surgeon so they can ensure you are healing properly. This issue should not persist past this point, and the sore throat is not likely related. Patients sometimes have a sore throat the first few days after surgery due to the intubation that takes place, but this is a separate issue. I hope this helps, and best of luck with the remainder of your recovery

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blood and mucous after rhinoplasty

+1

It is common to have occasional nose bleeds after rhinoplasty.   Your case needs vigilant followup by your surgeon since you have a foreign body with the implant and implant exposure or infection could produce the blood, mucous  and soreness issues you describe.

Donald Nunn, MD