Is Blood Draining into my Eye Socket After Surgery? (photo)

I just had a browlift and lower blephs done. I have woken to blood in my lower lids 4 nights in a row. The doctor's don't seem to know why. Is blood draining into my eye sockets? It really only happens when I wake. I have tried sleeping flat and with my head propped

If this persists you should be examined by your surgeon.

+2

Depending on precisely how surgery was performed it is possible to have a bit of blood tinging the tears for a couple of days after surgery.  This can be normal although alarming.  If all stops in the next day or so that would also be expected.  However, if it persists and gets worse, insist on seeing your surgeon.

Early post op drainage is not unusual

+1

From the photo you post, there does not seem to be an unusual amount of bleeding. Blood tears or oozing wound for a couple days after surgery is not unusual. Make sure you are applying lubricating ointment to the incisions and avoid as much minor trauma as possible.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Is Blood Draining into my Eye Socket After Surgery?

+1

No, more likely some small amount of bleeding is entering your tear ducts.  Ask the surgeon that did your Brow Lift and Eyelid Surgery for advice.

+1

Please seek immediate attention from your surgeon or eye doctor. Best to call them first. It could be nothing but than again you should check it out for safety. 

Blood and lower lid blepharoplasty

+1

Sometimes after blepahroplasty , there is dried blood along the suture lines for a few days.  This usually gets better after a few days. If it does not , you shoudl see your doctor.

Blood after blepharoplasty

+1

Its normal to have a little blood in your tears for a few days after surgery.  The incision if made on the inside of the eyelid normally has only a few sutures or none at all which allows some fluid to drain.  I'd recommend you see your surgeon and discuss it with him or her.  They will be able to examine you and help you figure out what's going on.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD