Blood Coagulation (clotting) a Little Higher Than Normal. Will It Effect my Rhinoplasty Surgery?

I just had a full physical and also requered pre-op tests and everyting came back all clear (EKG, chest x-ray, etc) only the blood clotting test a little higher and it worries me that there might be a problem during surgery.

Blood Clotting Pre-Op Test Results

+1

Prolonged blood clotting times may be a normal finding and are at times seen on routine pre-op lab tests.  I would recommend following-up with your primary care physician to see if this is your case or if further tests would need to be performed prior to your surgery to rule out a medical cause.  If your primary care physician finds that there is no medical reason for the slight elevation then it is extremely likely that you are at no greater risk for increased bleeding during your rhinoplasty.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Pre Op Labs and Bleeding Risks

+1

Thank you for your question. Your rhinoplasty surgeon should review those results prior to your procedure. Address your concerns with your surgeon, who can explain the significance of the test results in your case. Significant abnormalities may prompt a referral to a hematologist who may further advise about any increased risks and make perioperative recommendations to minimize those risks. Good luck to you.

James M. Pearson, MD

Blood Clotting Pre-Rhinoplasty #nosejob

+1

It is good of you to be worried. While it is hard for me to really advise you on specifics because I do not have your labs, you should make sure that your surgeon is being thorough for you. Certainly facial cosmetic surgery can lead to bleeding complications even in patients with normal coagulation profiles. Just make sure you pursue this so you can go into your procedure with confidence.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Blood clotting issues

+1

If you have abnormal blood tests, these should be reviewed by your physician. Sometimes further work-up is necessary with a hematologist.

Blood clotting

+1

It is impossible to say without knowing what the specific test and results were. However, I never even get clotting tests on my patients pre op. First of all, they do not detect  one of the most common causes of post op,bleeding which is aspirin use. Clotting tests are normal in patients on aspirin.  Usually if the clotting tests are slightly abnormal, you will undergo a lot of other tests which will not be of much help. If the test was grossly abnormal, which is highly unusual, it should be further evaluated.   If it is only slightly abnormal, it probably is of no significance, but your surgeon is the best one to advise you.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Preop Blood Test Results

+1

This is something that needs to be discussed with your surgeon in advance of surgery.  There may be a reason the result is elevated but more importantly, precautions need to be taken for your surgery.  Depending on how high the result is, your surgeon may recommend further evaluation by a hematologist.  Please discuss with your surgeon well in advance of surgery.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Bleeding after rhinoplasty

+1
The risk of bleeding after your rhinoplasty might be greater, though all depends on just what test was 'higher' or by how much. Any abnormal lab should be evaluated and explained by your surgeon, and if indicated by results, medical clearance by your personal physician for a safe outcome after rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty and blood clotting

+1

Thank you for your question.  As noted below, it really depends on what tests were abnormal.  Typically I would advise an evaluation by a hematologist who can determine if preoperative anticoagulation medications (blood thinning agents) are necessary.  Occasionally the hematologist will recommend heparin injections to minimize your risk of deep vein thrombosis which can occur during surgery and made worse by a clotting abnormality.  Make sure you fully discuss with your board certified plastic surgeon prior to scheduling surgery. Good Luck!

Matthew H. Steele, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and bleeding risks

+1

Dear ilovecandy,

I agree with the previous doctor, it just depends on exactly what was higher and by how much

Just talk to your surgeon and primary doctor, it can be investigated and treated properly before surgery

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Blood Coagulation Tests Before Rhinoplasty

+1

I suggest that you talk to your surgeon who may recommend evaluation by a hematologist depending on your test results. I recently had a similar situation when I operated on  a surgeon from the Middle East. We did the operation after clearance from a hematology specialist.