Blocked Nose After Septoplasty?

I have got my nasal septoplasty done 11 days back. However, my nose is still blocked even after removal of splints. I can still not breath. What could be the reason and solution. Regards Ahmad Nadeem Syed

Nasal obstruction early after septoplasty

+2

It's normal to have some congestion in the early post-operative period because the areas that were manipulated during surgery do tend to swell.  This can resolve over a period of 2-3 weeks, so give it a bit more time to judge your breathing.  In the meantime stay diligent about your surgeon's post-op care instructions.  

Congestion following septoplasty

+1

It is not abnormal to still have congestion 11 days after your procedure. In general, congestion will persist for two weeks or longer depending on the individual circumstances of the patient. I would recommend following up with your surgeon with any concerns, as they know the details of your surgery and will be able to provide you with advice. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Give it more time

+1

Your surgery is still too recent to see the final results in terms of your breathing. I tell patients that they should expect to be quite congested for up to 3 weeks after septoplasty.  You had a surgery in there, and the only way your nose knows how to respond to surgery is get swollen and make mucous, both of which contribute to your feeling congested. Give it some more time. 

Dara Liotta, MD