Blisters on Nipples 3 Months After Double Mammoplasty/augmentation? (photo)

18 yrs old, dbl mammoplasty/augmen 03/10/12, 1st six weeks continuing infestions, then diagnosed with MRSA staph infection, on meds for that 10 days, breasts looks good for about 1 week after then started to decline again. Now have blister like sores on nipples. Pus is clear, blisters break and regrow daily. Dr says let it heal - it will eventually, I am thinking no, any suggestions on what might be cause.

update:
Went to Dr (Board Cert PS) , he diagnosed a "yeast infection" put on Diflucan told to wash breast twice daily with Head and Shoulders shampoo. Let air dry. Cover with non-stick pad & tape when going out. They said could not be a continued staph infection after being on meds for 10 days, and they could not swab because there is not enough to swab. Any opinions would be really helpful, as you can imagine the fear and worries are there!

Blisters Form On Nipple After Breast Augmentation

+2

At this point I believe that you need to involve an infectious disease specialist.

It is hard to diagnose the cause of the blisters without running the appropriate tests as it could be a viral infection, fungal infection, contact dermatitis or others.

I agree with you that extreme measures should be taken so your situation does not worsen and cause further complications that could lead to necessary removal of your implants and painful treatments.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Possible cause of blisters on nipples

+2

You should approach this problem very aggressively.  

These are the possible causes:

1. MRSA infection

2. Fungal infection

3. Contact dermatitis

4. Other dermatitis 

5. Combination of any of the above mentioned.

If you don't have a diagnosis at this point in time, I would be as aggressive as a small biopsy with tissue bacterial culture, fungal stains as well as microscopic examination of the tissue.  This most likely will give you the diagnosis and the treatment should be directed accordingly.  If implant infection is considered, the implant should be removed. 

David Evdokimow, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Blisters on Nipples 3 Months After Double Mammoplasty/augmentation?

+2

This could be a contact dermatitis.  Stopping any topical ointments, washing with soap and water, cover with a sterile gauze placed over site and held in place with your bra.  It's urgent to clear this up as the implant is at risk with weeping wounds which have bacterial contamination.  A small 2mm biopsy may be necessary to rule out other causes but, if both nipple/areolas are involved, contact dermatitis seems the best possibility.

Mitchell F. Grasseschi, MD

Another possible cause of this problem.

+2

You should carefully consider what each of my colleagues has written. I would offer one other possible diagnosis that has not been mentioned thus far.

What are you using on your wound? If you are applying antibiotic ointment, this could be an allergic reaction to the ointment. Of course your open wound looks like an infection, so more ointment is usually the response. Many times, this worsens so the patient (and her doctors) simply gob on even more ointment, worsening the allergic response. Then comes the infectious disease consultants and even stronger antibiotics!

If this might be the case, stop antibiotic ointment immediately and try something like Silvadene or even Bactroban. In a severe case like yours, I'd probably simply stop everything, wash gently with a mild soap like Cetaphil or Basis, and use a non-stick dressing or even Saran wrap to avoid further damage. If it's an allergic reaction it will rapidly get better in a couple of days.

Just something to consider that frequently gets forgotten in our quest for ever-stronger antibiotics and higher-powered consultants. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Unusual blisters on nipples three months after augmentation

+2

This is an unusual situation that should be pursued aggressively.  Your management team should include a board-certified plastic surgeon and an infectious disease specialist.  First a specific diagnosis must be made, so that prompt and effective treatment will occur.

John Q. Cook, MD

Funky changes after breast augmentation (photo)

+2

This is unusual, MRSA probably "red herring" superinfection, perhaps viral or mycobacterial etiology (provided the history you provide doesn't omit important details).  Ask your surgeon if infectios disease consultation would be useful.

Steve Laverson, MD

+2

Posted photo is very impressive + MRSA infection! My thoughts are possible implant removal but best to obtain in person opinions from other boarded PSs in your area. 

Blisters on nipples after augmentation

+2

Thank you for your question. From the information you provided it would difficult to determine the exact cause of the blistering three months post augmentation mammoplasty without full history and examination, especially when you had MRSA infection. It is best for you if you address your concerns with your plastic surgeon and keep a close follow up with him/her. 

Moneer Jaibaji, MD