Are Blisters and Scabs Normal After Laser Treatment for Spider Veins?

I had laser therapy friday for spider veins on my nose, and now i have small blisters and purple scabs! Am I at risk to develop scars after this experience? Or will they go away and if yes when? Thank you!

Blisters and scabs after laser vein treatment...

+1

Blusters and scabbing after transdermal vein treatment may occur. Skin cooling at time of procedure helps to decease this unfortunate maleffect. After occurrence, avoid any sun exposure. Use Vasoline based family of products such as Aquaphor or Biafine. Biafine with emollients is the most expensive and may work better.

Austin General Surgeon

Scabs and blisters after treatment are not normal

+1

Greetings in Germany~

After laser treatment for telangiectasias you may experience some bruising, redness, slight swelling, perhaps some peeling or flaking but you shouldn't get blisters and scabs.  You should follow up with the office that treated you so you can get care instructions to minimize your chances of any scarring or discoloration.  For now, don't pick or poke at the blisters or peel any skin in the treated areas and keep a thin layer of vaseline or aquaphor on the area.  Hopefully the trauma to the skin is superficial and won't leave any lasting marks or scars but do make sure to follow up where you had the treatment done.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens    

Grant Stevens, MD

Is Bruising and Scabbing Normal After Spider Vein Removal?

+1

Hi Svixer.  No, this is not a normal outcome for the procedure.  In some cases, patients may experience very flaky or light scabbing, but blisters and deep scabbing are not the intended outcome.  Whether or not you develop scars will depend on the healing process so make sure to coordinate with your practitioner to manage that as well as possible.

Bruising is also not the desired outcome, but can happen when using a pulsed dye laser rather than a long pulsed Nd:Yg or KTP.  Ask what laser is being used for you and then instead of that one, find a practitioner with the following  - a KTP (532 nm) laser or a long pulsed Nd:Yg laser (1064 nm).  Alternatively a pulsed dye laser (590 nm) may help, but is not ideal.  Remember that these are types of lasers and not the manufacturers.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Scabs after laser vein treatment

+1

Sometimes overheating of the skin can appear as blisters and then scabs. A few superficial blisters or scabs are likely not to be a problem and that sounds like the case for you. Bruising which is completely normal after laser can appear like you describe. I would keep area coated with vaseline and it is likely that unless things worsen all will heal very well.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist