Blephroplasty Recovery and Results

Had upper & lower bleph along with ptosis repair. Very little bruising but seem to have an allergic rxn (sutures??). Started on po prednisone on 5/24 (procedure on 5/18) had sutures removed on 5/27 and started FML ointment & Pataday. Don't feel as if there is a major improvement. I know that this was not a predictable event, but I am very concerned now about the final product since the swelling maybe negating the surgical effects. Has anyone had this happen before?

Swelling is prolonged with ptosis repair during eyelid surgery

+1

IMHO, the ptosis repair explains why you have prolonged swelling in the upper eyelids.  Ptosis repair requires more extensive tissue undermining, of the upper eyelids, where the swelling is trapped against the pull of gravity.  We advice ptosis repair patients that the upper eyelid swelling can be pronounced for 4-6 weeks.  Hang in there, the eyelid skin heals remarkably well.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Post-blepharoplasty swelling

+1

Hi.

Swelling after surgery is variable. It tends to last longer if more procedures are performed.  At this point (now a it more than 2 weeks out) it is not that uncommon to still have swelling.  Also the swelling may be worse in the AM and get better as the day goes on.  The steroid drop and Pataday may help ocular allergy symptoms but have little effect on external swelling.  The steroid should help and often times a second regimen will do the trick.  I DO NOT feel, except in very rare cases that this will hinder your long term outcome.  Try to be patient and best of luck

Too soon to see Blepharoplasty results

+1

The swelling that you have experienced following your blepharoplasty should not effect your final results.  I advise my blepharoplasty patients that after surgery they will most likely experience some noticeable swelling that will subside within two to six weeks. Due to your apparent allergic reaction you may notice that your swelling persists and that you will indeed experience swelling longer than most. Patients should know some minor swelling can remain for as long as six months, and their lid contours may continue to change.  Final results may not be seen until the six month mark. There are several exercises that you can do to assist with healing as well.  I suggest discussing your concerns with your surgeon.  Best of luck, Dr. Clevens

Web reference: http://www.drclevens.com/photogallery/blepharoplasty

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post blepharoplasty swelling should not negate positive results

+1
I can certainly understand how you would be apprehensive however I do not think that the swelling should have an over all effect on your final results. I would speak with your surgeon and also discuss doing some eye exercises basically squeezing your eyes open and closed for five times in a row every waking hour. This often helps remove some of the swelling in the lid area. I personally prefer to remove eyelid sutures around the fifth day postoperativly and I start my patients on eye exercises the evening of surgery and continue them until their sutures are out. I also put many of my patients on a medrol dos pack (prednisone) starting the day after surgery reducing the dosage each day for five days. This helps reduce swelling and recovery time. I hope this information is helpful to you and I wish you a speedy recovery. Best regards!

Web reference: http://www.michaelelammd.com