I Had Blepharoplasty 2 Weeks Ago. How Can I Best Take Care of my Scars in my Eye Lids?

I am using Traumeel 3 times a day on my scars and aply it with medium -light force with my ring finger over the scar, is this enough to prevent keloid formation or is there any other producat I should be using?

How to care for your eyelids after Blepharoplasty

+1

Dear 5495anon,  Most eyelids scars from Blepharoplasty that are closed correctly will not need any scar creams, just gentle cleansing and massage. 

Eyelid keloids are very uncommon.  Keloids are most common in certain areas of the body (ears, neck, chest, shoulders for example) in individuals with a predisposition.  

On the other hand, a hypertrophic scar does not grow outside of the the original incision, but can be raised, red, and unsightly.  

My scar prevention regimen after Blepharoplasty includes removal of sutures within 5-7 days. After the initial three-five days, ophthalmic antibiotic ointments are stopped.  

If a person has a tendency for hypertrophic scarring, I might consider using an adhesive soft silicone dressing like mepiform. 

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper blepharoplasty scars heal well in most people without using topical scar-reducing preparations.

+1

Just about all of the upper blepharoplasty scars I've seen heal well. In fact, I have never seen keloid scarring in this area. You can develop a wide white scar, or a web if too much skin was removed. In that case, topical scar preparations would not be effective.

If you're concerned by the appearance of your blepharoplasty scars, please show them to your surgeon.

All the best from NJ.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Scars Generally Heal GREAT

+1

In general, blepharoplasty scars heal great regardless of what you put on them.  I encourage people to massage the scars with some sort of product, but in reality, it doesn't make much of a difference.  As long as it doesn't irritate the skin, then whatever you want to put on them should be fine.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon