Blepharoplasty on Women of Color Without Cutting to Prevent Scarring- Who Can Do It?

Chicao has a surgeon who can do blepharoplasty without cutting on women of color (Dr. Julius Few). He goes in thru the lower eye lid. Is there an east coast plastic surgeon who does the procedure this way?

Yes....most cosmetic surgeons can provide this technique

+1

Trans-conjunctival surgery is a technique that has been around for quite some time, and most cosmetic surgeons will be able to offer this technique. The more appropriate question is whether you are a good candidate for this procedure. Not all patients need the same type of surgery and individual consultation is needed.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

+1

Yes any experienced plastic and cosmetic surgeon can do this eyelid surgery technique.  It's called transconjunctival lower eyelid or Blepharoplasty and it's been around since 1990.

No-Skin-Cut Lower Lid Blepharoplasty for Black Ladies

+1

Removing excess fat from lower lid bags by going through the inside of the eyelid (TRANCONJUNCTIVAL BLEPHAROPLASTY) is a common operation done by ALL well-trained Plastic surgeons. You need not believe that you need to travel to Chicago or NY for it when there are probably good local surgeons who can help you in this regard.

The more important question though is: Is this operation really what you need? It is best used in people with good lower lid skin tone who do NOT have excess lower lid skin or looseness of the lower lid and whose only issue is fullness / baginess of the lower lids.

Consult the website of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons  wwwPlasticSurgeryorg to see which surgeons may be closest to you. I would begin your research there and you can then more specific to individual surgeons based on their websites, reviews and recommendations.

Good Luck.

Memphis, TN 

Lower lid blepharoplasty

+1

I do the surgery very similar to Dr. Few.  A transconjunctival approach is fine as long as your do not need skin removed.  Fat can easily be taken out this way.

No skin incision lower lid surgery

+1

This is called a transconjunctival lower lid blepharoplasty. Many surgeons do it this way routinely, including myself. A decision still needs to be made regarding the excess skin if there is any. You can try fractional resurfacing or just live with the external wrinkles. I assume you are concerned with keloids. The eyelid skin is least likely to form keloids. Most patients who think they have keloid scars actually have hypertrophic scars which would not be a problem in the eyelids. 

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Scars

+1

The lower eyelids can have the fat removed with no scars on the outside. If you have upper eyelid skin excess, you need external scars. I have done many women and men of color and never gotten a bad scar on the eyelids.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Non-incisional belparhoplasty

+1
You are speaking of a transconjunctival blepharoplasty in which the incision is inside the eyelid. The procedure is routinely performed by plastic surgeons and I do not think you will have difficulty finding someone in your area to perform it. If you are concerned about scarring from surgery, you could consider Restylane to fill in the tear troughs but it is impossible to comment on its efficacy without a photo.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Blepharoplasty in the black or dark skinned person

+1

It sounds is if you are referring to a lower eyelid blepharoplasty.  The lower eyelids often times are treated by a surgical approach that is through the inside of the eyelid (no skin incision).  In fact, I do the majority of lower blepharoplasty surgery this way regardless of skin color.  You should be able to find many surgeons who do it this way.  I would caution you to avoid fat removal, but rather ask for fat repositioning and/or surgical implants and fillers.

The upper eyelid surgery will need a skin incision in just about 100% of patients.  While there are some surgeons who will do fat injections into the upper eyelid, I do not believe that this is a satisfactory method except for perhaps the very rare patient who only needs volume.  Despite dark skin color, the incision is unlikely to be an issue for you as upper eyelids heal very well in most all people.  I do not treat the upper eyelid incision any different on Blacks, Hispanics, or other dark skin types and have excellent results.  This is particularly true in patients who are in their late 50's or older.

Non-surgical approaches for lower eyelids include Restylane injections.  This can work very well in many people but is not permanent.  Other treatments with various non-invasive "gadgets/lasers" will almost certainly be a waste of you money.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

For many patients lower eyelid surgery can be performed without cutting the skin

+1

For lower eyelids, surgery can often be performed by making a cut on the inside of the lid.  This technique avoids any skin incision.  This is a great procedure for many patients but you would need a consultation with a cosmetic surgeon to decide if this procedure is right for you.

If you want to ask if a doctor does the procedure, it is called a transconjunctival blepharoplasty.

I hope that is helpful.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ultherapy as a good option for non-surgical Blepharoplasty

+1

There is no true non-surgical Blepharoplasty especially if there is moderate skin excess. In my practice, we offer Ultherapy as a non-surgical peri-orbital rejuvenation. We find that we can achieve some skin tightening and brow lift. It is safe for all skin types. Otherwise, you may also benefit from other non-ablative skin tightening devices.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon