Lower Blepharoplasty: Tightening and Hardening of the Muscles - is This Normal?

I had Lower Blepharoplasty done 2 weeks ago. My lower lid swelled after the surgery, but it looked perfect the next day until Sunday last week, where it really swelled up. I watched a movie the day before and fell asleep flat on my head on Sunday. It's slowly resolving, but the area near the eye socket feels hardened , tight and is still swelling a bit. I kind of look like I'm always crying. What's causing it? And is there any vitamins or remedies I can do to speed up the healing?

Swelling Will Vary Day by Day

+2

Even at 2 weeks after Blepharoplasty, daily variation in swelling is normal.

It's normal to see variation between the left and right.

Swelling can make the tissue feel firm.

When you've done too much, you'll swell more:

1. Decrease activities, especially strenuous ones
  2. Reduce eye strain from reading, computer work, TV
  3. Apply warm compresses and
  4. Rest your eyes.
  5. Be patient!

Always feel free to consult your surgeon with your concerns.

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after an eyelid surgery

+1

I think what you are seeing is just due to swelling or edema after the procedure, and with time, it will get better. the muscles feeling hard can be from them just healing and in time they will soften and release from the skin a bit to allow better movement of the skin over the muscle. Got to give it  a little more time is all.

Help healing along after Blepharoplasty

+1

I have all my Blepharoplasty patients sleep at a 30 degree angle with their head slightly elevated and use ice compresses to decrease the swelling.  Your swelling looks normal at 2 days post lower Blepharoplasty and I'd advise you do nothing until checking with your surgeon that it's OK.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Swelling after blepharoplasty

+1

Eyelid swelling two weeks after surgery is not that unusual. Factors such as sleep position, salt intake, and menstural cycle can affect swelling. I suggest ice packs, and Arnica (a supplement).

Lower blepharoplasty and swelling.

+1

It sounds like you might have some swelling of the inner lining of the eye (chemosis). See your surgeon to check for this and give you drops.

Healing really does take several months.

+1

Two weeks after eyelid surgery is not very long.  It is normal for things to get firm and tight.  This is usually at it maximum 6-8 weeks after surgery and the begins to soften and return to normal.  One might call that the lumpy firm stage.  If your result looked good immediately after surgery, it is likely that the dust will settle here and be just fine.  Please do not be so ready to blame yourself for your healing.  This process is really outside your control.  If you are uncertain about things, call your surgeon and see them.  This is far more reassuring than having strangers who have not examined you and did not do your surgery, pass judgement.

Web reference: http://www.lidlift.com