Open Wounds on Eye Corners After Blepharoplasty

I had blepharoplasty four days ago. My doctor decided to take the stitches out two days after the surgery. It was a bit aggressive, as some skin had grown over the sutures, and thus painful. Before I left, he put thin pieces of steri-strips on the outer corners of my eyes, with a bit of ointment. This part of both eye incisions feels as though it has not closed, or perhaps was opened by my heavy-handed doctor. When I (carefully) peeked under the steri-strip, it indeed appears to be an open wound. Is this easily corrected? Am I in danger of bad scarring? I won't get to see him for another three days.

Blepharoplasty incisions should be sutured.

+1

Hi.

Of course, I don't know how much time has gone by.  But if you are only a few days after surgery, return to your surgeon, who may close the blepharoplasty incisions under local anesthesia.

In Manhattan, we typically remove eyelid sutures in 4 days.

You may need to have a few sutures replaced

+1

My suggestion would be to call your surgeon to make your concerns known. As a surgeon, I always want to know if my patients are having issues after any procedure. If the gaping is slight, it is not uncommon, does not have to be addressed, and should heal well. If, however, there is a larger gap, stitches may need to be placed or a tissue adhesive applied.

Jonathan Sonne, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Few stitches may be needed for open wounds

+1

If there is significant wound gaping, I would call his office and may want to put few stiches there. If the wound is still intact steri-strips will do it.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS