Risk of Dry Eye Problem After Blepharoplasty?

I have a pre-op appointment on May 12th for Blepharoplasty. I'm a little scared about doing this. I don't want to regret it if things don't turn out good. I'm also afraid of the dry eye problem that can occur. My eye doctor says that I don't have extreme dry eyes. but I feel they are dry at times. Will they become extremely dry after surgery, for the rest of my life?

Dry eyes and blepharoplasty

+1

Every patient I see in my practice as part of their initial consultation and evaluation is tested for dry eyes. If your plastic surgeon does not routinely do this, it is because they are not familiar with these tests. That’s why it is important to make sure the surgeon operating on your eyes is an oculoplastic surgeon.

Dry eye problem after blepharoplasty

+1

Blepharoplasty (upper or lower) can certainly cause dry eyes postoperatively as a complication. If you feel you have dry eyes before surgery, your ophthalmologist should do a thorough examination and testing necessary to determine the exact cause of your dry eyes. Once that is established and/or treated, it is reasonable to proceed with a conservative blepharoplasty.

Judicial removal of upper eyelid skin is usually sufficient to avoid dry eye problems. Regarding the lower lid, the lid needs to keep its contact with the globe (eyeball) in order to avoid excess watering of the eye which can also lead to dry eyes. Eye drops in the post-operative period will help alleviate some of the dryness you may experience.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to your blepharoplasty.

Dry eye risk after Blepharoplasty depends

+1

You bring up a very good question. You have done well to consult with your ophthalmologist before eyelid surgery. There are tests (Schirmer's test) available to objectively assess your ability to make tears. This is performed by most eye doctors. If this shows that you have limited tear making ability, safety measures can be taken before surgery (temporary punctal plugs) to minimize dry eye after surgery. During the recovery from eyelid surgery, you will benefit from temporary use of eye lubricants. No permanent change in eye lubrication should occur as a result of eyelid surgery.