How Long Does Blepharoplasty Last?

I have over lappin eyelids and cand see my eyelashes and hard to because of the eyelids and inner corner of eyelids shorten the width that I can see. I also have puffy under eyes that swell and make it even harder to see.

Longevity of Blepharoplasty

+3

The longevity of blepharoplasty is usually 10-15 years depending on the pre-existing aging/genetics of the patient. A properly done blepharoplasty will last 10-15 years.

Blepharoplasty results should be permanent

+2
Blepharoplasty results should be permanent. Removal of hooding and upper eyelid skin, upper blepharoplasty should really only need to be done once. As aging continues, the brow can drop or descend and this can cause excess skin to appear again on the upper eyelid.

However the solution is a brow lift not a second upper blepharoplasty. The risk of a secondary upper blepharoplasty is that if too much skin is removed then you will not be able to close your eyes.

Lower blepharoplasty is usually done to remove eye bags and puffy eyes. Extra fat is removed form the lower eyelid. This operation should also only need to be done once.

Of course some people do not get an adequate blepharoplasty the first time and secondary or revisional blepharoplasty needs to be done. However, with eyelid surgery called blepharoplasty getting it right the first time is best. Secondary, re-do blepharoplasty upper or lower has a higher complication rate than primary blepharoplasty

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Longlasting

+2

The results of a well performed blepaharoplasty are usually long lasting. Remember nothing stops the aging process but most patients will usually only have one blepharoplasty per lifetime....

Richard Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of blepharoplasty results

+1

The goal for upper eyelid surgery is removal of extra skin and a little bit of fat. The goal for a lower blepharoplasty surgery is mostly removal of puffiness on the underneath side of the eyelids with an occasional trimming of excess skin if needed. They tend to last 10 to 15 years.

Aging continues

+1

The results of the average Blepharoplasty (designed to remove excess skin and fat) actually last forever, BUT the aging process continues. You won't ever get that skin and fat back but you may develop some excess tissue over the years.

Some people can be confused with the fact that the brows droop over time. And, this has nothing to do with the Blepharoplasty. However, it may make it look as if there is excess upper eyelid skin developing, when in some cases, the brows have simply drooped. Blepharoplasty does not improve brow droop and won't prevent it either. Forehead or brow lifting might help this. Also, there is a special way to inject Botox that will lift he brows. Not matter which way it is done, once the brows are elevated, it will make it look as if there is less upper eyelid skin.

Another eyelid aging issue that can make the lids look more aged is wrinkles. Surgery will not "pull" wrinkles out. In fact, if someone pulls out too much skin, the lid contour can change or the lids won't close well; the lower lid might actually pull down. Do, don't count on Blepharoplasty to improve wrinkles. The best way to improve eyelid wrinkles, in my opinion, is a good medical grade skin care program or peeling.

Phillip Langsdon, MD
Germantown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty results can last 10-15 years

+1

Most people feel that the results from all forms of facial rejuvenation such as blepharoplasty last around 10-15 years. Gravity, the aging process, and your genetics will determine this exact length of time.

Good luck.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon