Can a blepharoplasty be performed to correct asymmetrical eyelids? (photo)

Info about me: - Asian - 18 to 21 years of age - both parents have the double-eye lid fold - left eye does not feel natural and eyelashes curl inwards

Your eyelids need to be further assessed if blepharoplasty or ptosis surgery is needed as they are different procedures

+1
As an oculofacial cosmetic surgeon, I’ve had a lot of experience in eyelid surgery especially ptosis surgery. When I assess a person who is concerned with asymmetry, there are two critical aspects when deciding whether blepharoplasty is the right thing for the patient. First is determining the eyelid height. When someone has a lot of skin overhanging the eyelid, it can increase the width or the height between the margin of the lower eyelid and the margin of the upper eyelid. This height is called the interpalpebral fissure. By measuring the height, we are able to determine whether or not there’s a condition called ptosis or drooping of the eyelid.

Eyelid ptosis is a different surgery from blepharoplasty. When you have eyelid ptosis, we evaluate the levator muscle. We have to do something to advance the muscle or shorten the muscle to get the height to be equal. In addition, I look at the eyes in the primary gaze as well as forward, downward and upward to determine the muscle function.

The other part of the equation is the skin fold. You mentioned that your eyelids are turning inward. This is relatively a frequent condition of people from the Asian descent. This condition is called epiblepharon where there’s a fold of skin that pushes the eyelashes. When the eyelashes already touch the eye, a correction has to be done to prevent irritation of the eye itself.

You should also be aware that when people are concerned with asymmetry, it is not only limited to the soft tissue of the eyelids such as skin and levator muscle. Sometimes it is related to the natural underlying bone structure. The human face is not perfectly asymmetric. If you look at your face long enough, you can notice the subtle asymmetry of the two sides. Specifically with your issue, there seems to be a real difference with the skin fold of your eyelid.

In your situation, you might be well served with limited blepharoplasty to address the fold of skin that is causing your eyelashes to turn inward. Although you submitted a question about the asymmetry and you have a relatively descent photo, the photo does limit of how much opinion you can get without a proper examination. I recommend that you meet with a qualified experienced surgeon. Typically if there’s an issue with ptosis, you would be going to an oculofacial plastic surgeon and get an evaluation of all the things I mentioned. Once you are comfortable with the doctor you meet with then you can make a decision of proceeding with your surgery. I hope that was helpful and gave you some guidance, and thank you for your question.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asymmetric Asian eyelid

+1

the answer to your question is yes they can be corrected. Typically correction of asymmetry requires an incision method with anchoring sutures. The surgery is performed under local anesthesia and her healing time anywhere from 7-10 days. Sutures are typically removed 6-7 days after surgery.

I'll attach some information you may find helpful

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon