Lumpy and Thick Scars After Blepharoplasty and Mid Facelift

I had a Blepharoplasty and a Mid Face Lift 9 days ago. The upper lids have the dissolving stitches but they are still very lumpy and do not seem to be dissloving. The scars are also thick. What do I do? I saw the doctor yesterday and he said that they would be fine.

9 day old scars mean nothing

+1

Scars that are only 9 days old are no indication of how they will look in a year.  Follow your doctors advice and you will be fine.

9 days is way too soon to evaluate scars

+1

9 days after surgery is way too soon to evaluate your scars. If you're going to have thick, raised scars, this will occur much later after surgery. Once the sutures dissolve, the incisions will soften up much more and flatten out.It is almost unheard of to have thickened scars on the upper eyelids.

In this case, the best thing you can do is put the mirror away for a few weeks (impossible, I know), avoid the sun which can cause darkening of scars, and make sure nothing pulls on the lids (especially when sleeping and dressing).

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Scars

+1

Eyelid scars rarely heel poorly. Be patient. Fortunately, the incisions will not be seen by your colleages and friends while healing; they are hidden when your eyes are open.

If the dissolvable sutures bother you, ask your surgeon to remove them.

Blepharoplasty or Eyelid Tuck Scars

+1

The eyelid has a very thin dermis and thus has a low propensity to hypertrophy with surgery. Initial thickening of a blepharoplasty scar is normal and will subside with gentle pressure and massage.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Scars very unsightly at first

+1

The appearance of all incisions is somewhat disturbing at first but they will fade. It is especially uncommon to have unfavorable healing in blepharoplasty incisions so relax and wait for it to be better. Try to question much of your appearance for the first three weeks because it will always be changing during that time period.

Richard Gentile, MD
Youngstown Facial Plastic Surgeon