Is It Safe to Have Blepharoplasty After Juvederm Injection?

Can you have an upper Blepharoplasty done if you have undereye/eye contour filler, such as Juvederm in place? The filler is in the tear trough area but extends outwards under the eye. Should I mention this to my surgeon?

Blepharoplasty after Juvederm injection

+2

There is no problem in performing a blepharoplasty after Juvederm filler in the area. It is very important, though, to be forthcoming and disclose all previous treatments and/or operations to your surgeon in order to have a safer operation. The fillers are usually injected into the dermal layer of the skin (or sometimes on top of the bone) and are not disturbed by the different approaches used in blepharoplasty nor do they interfere with the operation itself.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Probably not a problem, but wait until Juvederm absorbs

+2

Juvederm injected into the tear trough area of the lower eyelid will not prevent you from having a blepharoplasty, but you will probably want to wait until the Juvederm has absorbed.

A large part of a successful blepharoplasty operation is filling in the tear trough and smoothing the transition between the eyelid and cheek. Whether this is accomplished through lower eyelid fat repositioning, autologous fat transfer or an implant, it will be difficult to perform a precise operation with Juvederm in place.

Definitely tell your surgeon you have had filler. Juvederm is reversible with an injection of hyaluronidase as well if you want to speed the process.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper blepharoplasty is safe with Juvederm, Restylane or other filler in the lower eyelid

+1

Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane, Evolence, Radiesse or other soft tissue filler placed in the lower eyelid or tear trough will not effect an upper blepharoplasty.

Of course, you need to tell your surgeon.

Soft tissue fillers in the lower eyelid can impact a lower blepharoplasty. If fat is removed during lower blepharoplasty contour deformities can occur whoch are created by the filler left behind.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/non-surgical-procedures/fillers-radiesse%C2%AE-restylane%C2%AE-and-juvaderm%C2%AE/

Good idea to inform your surgeon of injected filler

+1

It is a good idea to mention the fact that you have had Juvederm placed in the tear troughs, and you should probably wait at least a month after the injections before proceeding with lower blepharoplasty surgery. It is important to make sure that all the swelling is down from the injection prior to embarking on elective cosmetic blepharoplasty surgery.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Juvederm in tear trough should not effect upper blepharoplasty

+1

Dear Apple:

I do not think this should be a problem as the upper blepharoplasty is performed in an area not treated with Juvederm. You should however, mention to your surgeon you had Juvederm to your tear trough area. He/she may find this information helpful when planning your current or future eyelid/facial procedures.

Good luck.

Munster Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Blepharoplasty

+1

Thanks for your question.

It is unlikely that Juvederm for a tear trough deformity would cause a problem for your planned upper lid blepharoplasty.

It is important to discuss this with your plastic surgeon. In creating an overall balance it will be important to take into account that you have a temporary filler improving the look of the lower lids (specifically the tear trough area).

I hope this helps

I don't think there is any need for concern but let your surgeon know

+1

More and more surgeons use fillers in the lower and upper eye lids to establish volumization.  This is now part of a rejuvenation process and I combine that with my surgical Blepharoplasty.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ok to proceed with surgery

+1

The Juvederm should not affect the blepharoplasty surgery, but please make sure your surgeon knows about it and any other procedures or injections (Botox) that you have had within the last year.  Good luck.

I would mention it, but it shouldn't affect the surgery

+1

I would advice you to mention it. As long as bumps do not exist on the skin surface, it should be fine. He might need to remove some during surgery, but the key is the final outcome.

Web reference: http://newportplastic.com/eyelid-surgery/

Please be open and honest with your surgeon.

+1

Dear Apple

Surgeons hate surprises. It should absolutely not be a problem that you just had Juvederm to fill your under eye hollow. This should have no bearing on the upper eyelid surgery unless there is associated swelling. One of the reasons I have moved away from using Juvederm for the under eye area is that there can be some persistent swelling associated with the Juvederm for a period of 6 to 8 weeks that I dont see when I treat with Restylane. The other reason is that the Juvederm tends to drift out of the tear trough area and into the top of the cheek. The company touts Juvederm as being smooth but sometimes I wonder if they mean runny. Neither of these effects should have much bearing on your upper eyelid surgery. However, be honest with your surgery and let him/her decide for themselves if it is an issue or not. It is important that you trust your surgeon and equally important that your surgeon trusts you.