Can Lower Blepharoplasty Make my Eyes Larger?

I'm interested in making my eyes larger by taking fat or skin from my lower eyelids. I've already had aAsian eyelid surgery, where fat was removed from the top lids of my eyes, creating a crease. However, I still want my eyes larger, because I have a round face. If I were to remove even more fat from the top, the crease would get too large and look weird -- at least I think so. So is it possible to enlarge my eyes by removing fat/skin from the bottom lid or outer corners?

Lower blepharoplasty for larger eyes?

+2

Hi Kelly. To answer your question, it is unlikely that a traditional lower blepharoplasty will make your eyes look significantly larger. You may benefit from a personal consultation with a plastic surgeon experienced with eyelid surgery, especially given your history of previous eyelid surgery. Good luck.

Lower blepharoplasty can drop lid position and make eyes appear larger . . . but you will have dry eyes!

+2

Kelly, if you look carefully at another person as they blink their eyes, you will observe that the upper lid is doing the opening and closing--the lower lid moves minimally (unlike other species where the lower lid moves to meet the upper).

When lower lid blepharoplasty is done, it is to remove loose skin, trim or reposition protruding fat, diminish the hollow at the orbital rim that causes "dark circles," or improve tone of the lid while maintaining position. In some cases where the lid position is too low or has sagged with age, lower lid position is even elevated to enhance the appearance of youthfulness or even impart a slightly exotic "look."

Dropping the lid position would expose the eyeball to dryness and irritation, causing chronic tearing at best, and corneal damage, scarring, and vision loss at worst. YOU DO NOT WANT THIS!

Additional appearance changes may be possible, but you need a consultation with a seasoned and experienced ABPS-certified plastic surgeon who does lots of Asian eyelid surgery to determine what is possible, what is safe, and as above, what is not! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Too much thinking here.

+2

Kelly

How many hours a day do you think about this issue?  It sounds like your do a lot of thinking about this issue.  It is unfortunate that you did not post photographs.  Generally the solutions you are proposing will not help you.  What you really need is a detailed personal consultation with a surgeon who performs reconstructive Asian cosmetic eyelid surgery.  

Can lower blepharoplasty make my eyes larger

+2

I have performed Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery) for over 20 years and removing fat from the lower eyelids will remove fat bags but not increase the size of the eye or eye socket.  Photos would help but there are far more aesthetically accurate ways of making a round face appear more hear shaped or oval.

Small Eyes After Asian Blepharoplasty

+1

Kelly,

I would need to examine you to make a definitive recommendation.  However, if you would like your upper eyelids to sit higher on the eyeballs, you would likely benefit from ptosis repair.  This procedure tightens the muscle that lifts the eyelid without taking out skin or fat.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery to make eyes larger

+1

Firstly, without seeing you or at least a photograph, it is very difficult to give any sensible advice.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon