Blepharoplasty or Eyebrow Surgery For Uneven Eyes? (photo)

I am 20 yrs and my right eye is smaller than the left one also the eyebrow is different from the other one. I want to have a bigger looking eyes and better shaped, which surgery will help me better ? Thank you.

Orbital assymetry

+2

One of the best exercises to do to show asymmetry is to take two mirror images of your left and right sides and compare these. Asymmetry begins with differences in the facial skeleton on one side versus the other. Soft tissue volume changes and adjustments may or may not help. One thing that will likely not make any difference is eyelid or brow surgery. Will Botox help? Maybe, but you have very deep set eyes and obvious volume differences in the orbit. Adjustments with facial fillers or Sculptra might improve this. Fixed landmarks, such as the width of the orbital aperature, will not change. It is not just the orbit but a full facial analysis that is working here and I would bet that there is more there in your face. Will you benefit by having something done? It depends on whether there will be any predictable improvement.  I would proceed cautiously. I have never met anyone that is perfectly symmetric. 

Blepharoplasty or Eyebrow Surgery For Uneven Eyes?

+2

As the majority of the expert posters have stated, and I agree, you are NOT a candidate for any eyelid/brow surgery. You have very slight anatomic asymmetry. Yes you could try BOTOX but I doubt it will improve the appearance much. 

Asymmetry of eyes?

+2

I do not think that you should have any surgery. Minor asymmetry is normal and you do not look like you need surgery.

Facial Surgery for Uneven Eyes

+2

In my opinion, you do not have enough asymmetry to warrant "correction" through surgery. Your asymmetry is very subtle and on the order of less than 1mm difference. It is very difficult to reliably produce surgical results within those tolerances and therefore there is a high likelihood that you would be unhappy with your results. Hope this helps.

Michael Kim, MD

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid asymmetry is a common problem.

+2

In young patients I like to try botox to see if symmetry can be achived. That may be preferable to surgery. I like endoscopic brow lifts that may or may not be the answer, I would have to see the patient. Tewrry Cromwell M.D.

Terry A. Cromwell, MD (retired)
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

+2

It's interesting (and human) that we notice these things in ourselves more than in others. Pick any People magazine or similar publication and look at all the beautiful people. Every single one has a big eye and a little eye. That's the norm.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Everybody has slight asymmetry of the face that does not require surgical correction.

+2

Whatever asymmetry exists in the photographs demonstrated, it is subtle. The eyes are useful and attractive. This should be left alone.

+2

Yes, the left eyebrow is slightly lower than the right which makes the left upper eyelid a bit more full than the right.  The degree of both, IMHO does not dictate either Eyelid Surgery or a Brow Lift.  Some Botox to elevate the eyebrows could be explored.  

Eyellid asymmetry

+2
I agree that there is an asymmetry but you should understand that most people are not symmetrical. Supermodels tend to be and this is one reason for their success in a world that desires the appearance of perfection. You may want to try some Botox to elevate the lower brow before considering surgical intervention. Chasing perfection has its own risks and it is important for you to have reasonable expectations. Best wishes.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Subtle asymmetry

+2

Thank you for posting photos which allows us to make a more accurate recommendation, though if the photos were a bit larger and higher quality,  that would be even better.

But based on the photo you have posted, there are a few subtle findings that I see.

Firstly I agree with you that your right brow and your right eyelid are ever so slightly lower than on your left side. The most likely explanation for this is that there is an underlying bony asymmetry between the two eye sockets, and that the overlying soft tissue changes are a result of this. Your eyebrow position is also flat. This is the natural position for a male patient, but the female patient should have a bit more of an arch to the outside portion of the brow.

So if you were to do anything, and at 20 years you are a bit young, I would recommend a browlift. A blepharoplasty is out of the question as your upper eyelids would look more hollow.

If your eyelid asymmetry [relative ptosis on right side] is also bothering you, a subtle eyelid ptosis repair on the right would make the eye match the left side a bit better.

Furthermore, based on the photo, you have a subtle lower eyelid retraction: that is, your lower eyelid is sitting about a millimeter lower that is ideal, which shows too much of the white of the eye underneath your cornea, and makes the eyelid a bit less almond shaped. You may want to consider lower lid retraction at the same time.

It is very important that your surgeon discuss how these procedures may change your overall appearance, and present you with before and after photos of patients that have similar changes.

If you are serious about surgery, I would recommend an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon, as they have extensive training and experience in eyelid surgery.

You can find one close to your at asoprs dot org.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon