Can blepharoplasty with canthopexy be done without any fat removal (only skin)?

I am looking into bleph with cantho but don't feel any fat needs to be removed. I am 44 with loose under eye skin which is why I felt cantho would also be a good idea. Am I correct? I assume it is safer without fat removal? Also, less costly?

Lower eyelid surgery can be done without fat removal

+1

There are many patients who may benefit from just skin excision, or a laser procedure to tighten the skin. For patients who have prolapsed and visible fat pads, this fat is now often repositioned as opposed to being removed to prevent any hollowing. A canthopexy would only be necessary if you had significant laxity of the lid, and this would be determined by your surgeon.

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Loose skin under eyes

+1

If the main problem is loose skin in the lower eyelid, this might be treatable with laser resurfacing instead of surgery. Make sure to see someone who has considerable experience with this type of treatment.

Mitesh Kapadia, MD, PhD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

WIthout photographs this is all so theoretical.

+1

Sure, it is possible to do anything. The real question is what is right for your particular situation. Why do you feel you need a canthoplasty? Canthoplasty is a reconstructive procedure not a cosmetic procedure. Having it when you do not need it is potentially very harmful.

Can blepharoplasty be done without fat removal?

+1

Blepharoplasty of the upper or lower eyelids can definitely be done without fat removal. Some patients do not need fat removed and some do, so the procedure is tailored to the individual. Canthopexy should not influence whether fat is removed or not. The removal of fat should not make the procedure less safe. The cost of the procedures will vary by surgeon.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon