Blepharoplasty and dry eye what are the risk? (Photo)

I recently had an eye check up my TBUT was OD5.5 , OS4.0 Schirmer OD 10 ML OS15ml I want a blepharoplasty very badly top and bottom but I'm cautious about my eyes. Do I need to forego this surgery?

Blepharoplasty and dry eyes

+2
A recent study showed that there is not an increase in dry eyes with blepharoplasty.  I have found that some patients get some scratchy sensation after a bleph, and this is relieved with artificial tears.  If you have significant symptoms of dry eye, you might not want to do a surgery.  But if you don't you should do fine.

Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty and dry eyes

+2
Conservative blepharoplasty (upper and lower) should not affect the tear function or dryness in which case the eyelid position and blink function are not affected.  See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty and dry Eyes

+2
There is a very small chance when performing a blepharoplasty that your eyes can become  dryer than they are now. The amount of symptoms you're having preoperatively,( if severe and enough) may weigh in on the decision to perform the surgery. There are prescription eyedrops and ductal plugs that can help with dry eye.  If you decide to perform the surgery it's important to perform a conservative upper blepharoplasty and not make the eyelids too tight, and not to remove any orbicularis oculi muscle from the upper eyelids as well. For many examples of blepharoplasty please see the link below

Dry Eye and Blepharoplasty

+2
You did not say whether you had symptomatic dry eye or not. Your numbers are borderline for symptoms. Blepharoplasty always causes or increases dry eye for several months. However, it usually returns to near normal when the procedure is done properly. If your dry eye is already significantly symptomatic and worsening this would be problematic, then you should not have the blepharoplasty. If, however, you are not or only minimally symptomatic, you should discuss your expectations with a plastic surgeon experienced with eye rejuvenation.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty with risk of dry eyes

+2
Based on your photo, I think that undergoing a conservative upper blepharoplasty would be reasonable.  You appear to have a moderate amount of excessive tissue in your upper eyelid region and I think your outcome would be favorable.

As you are aware, the risk is more significant if "too" much eyelid tissue is removed with the upper eyelid surgery.  I think that a qualified Facial Plastic Surgeon could safely provide a nice result.

In terms of the lower eyelid surgery, I also feel that this too could be performed conservatively and safely.

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Risks of dry eyes after lid surgery

+1
are pretty minimal in my experience.  The procedures do nothing to affect your current tear production but you may have a little more exposure of your cornea contributing to the 'dry eye' sensation.  It really comes down to whether you really need or want the procedure and accepting of the risks or not having it at all to avoid all of the risks.

Curtis Wong, MD

Blepharoplasty and dry eyes

+1
Hello.  Although test numbers are important, an even more consideration is how symptomatic you are from your dry eyes.  If you are severely symptomatic, it might be prudent to avoid surgery.  If you are not symptomatic, it would be best to start with a conservative upper blepharoplasty..

John Q. Cook, MD