Blepharoplasty Soon After Hair Transplant. Will It Effect my Transplant Success?

I have had my first hair transplant on the 6th and whilst I am here in Thailand I want to get upper and lower blepharoplasty (eye bag removal) which is minor surgery, Ideally I would like it done soon as possible so maybe book in for the eye surgery on the 10th to give a bit of rest in-between. How long should I wait and will it effect the transplanted from developing properly? Thank you for your time reading.

Blepharoplasty after hair transplant

+3

If I were you, I certainly wouldn't think or refer to bilateral upper and lower eyelid surgery as being a minor procedure, easily accomplished while you are in Thailand for hair transplant surgery.  Things can and do go wrong and the internet is full of testimonials of patients where this has occurred. 

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Consecutive surgeries

+2

In my opinion, I can see no particular reason for not having blepharoplasties done after a hair transplant. Perhaps waiting 4-5 days might be good idea so there is less chance of the grafts being harmed by manipulations of the head. By that time grafts are very secure and hard to remove, even deliberately. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is perfectly fine..

+1

My partner is Dr. Gary Hitzig who is the world’s leading authority in hair restoration with regenerative medicine. We routinely perform eyelid surgery with hair transplant during the same visit.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hair transplant and blepharoplasty.

+1

Hair transplant and blepharoplasty are often done together but I see no problem in doing them several days later if they are careful of your grafts.

Blepharoplasty is not minor

+1

Ultimately, you should discuss this question with your hair transplant surgeon. As far as your eyelid surgery goes, I agree %100 with the other surgeons. This is not a "minor procedure". Although the likelihood of a bad complication is low, it can be a devastating problem. Price should be the last concern for you when picking a surgeon. Safety is paramount.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

+1

Assuming no complications, I would not think that having a blepharoplasty after a hair transplant should be a problem. I do agree, however, with a previous responder who said that it is important not to dismiss blepharoplasty as a minor procedure. A number of complications can arise, including the rare complication of blindness if there is untreated bleeding in the eye socket..  Make sure as with any operation that your surgeon is experienced and well-trained, and that there is some way for them to help you deal with any complications, particularly short-term ones like bleeding - given that you are out of the country.

Daniel Berg, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery is not minor surgery.

+1

Eyelid surgery is major cosmetic surgery with significant potential side-effect including death and permanent blindness.  Hair grafting is much more minor.  This week I evaluated two individuals for reconstructive surgery after they had cosmetic eyelid surgery in Thailand.  Caution is advised.