Suture Marks 2 Years Post-op Lower Bleph

I had lower bleph 2 years ago. now im left with obvious suture marks underneath both eyes, which show no signs of goin away. im so humiliated. what can be done to fix the problem???

Medical Microneedling Can Work For All Sorts of Scars and Irregularities

+2

Naturally I am very sorry that you are having this problem and are so beset by it. Without actually seeing the problem, I can only say that medical microneedling may be of benefit, and there is no contraindication to using it on the delicate tissues surrounding the eyes. 

While the choice of the precise type of medical microneedling instrument and the length of the needles would have to be determined after examination by a dermasurgeon experienced in this procedure, the concept is quite straightorward. A roller or a stamp containing many tiny needles can be run over the suture marks, under local anesthesia, to break up scar collagen and excess fibrous tissue below and to even out the dyspigmentation on the surface. A series of treatments (typically between 2 and 4) spaced at six week intervals are usually required to achieve maximum benefit.

Suture marks after blepharoplasty

+2

While not common, bumps in the scar following blepharoplasty do occur and do not necessarily reflect a poorly performed procedure.  In fact, if a surgeon has never had this complication following blepharoplasty, he or she has not done very many blepharoplasties.  Scar revision is usually quite successful in these instances and I would strongly recommend returning to your surgeon to explore the options for improvement.

Keith A. LaFerriere, MD
Springfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Scars

+1

I would suggest that you discuss your options with your original surgeon or seek a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon. You should have a few treatment options available.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Lower lid surgery and scar

+1

Suture marks seen after lower lid blepharoplasty this far out are likely permanent.  Although laser resurfacing may be an option, I do not think that will work because the marks are full thickness in the skin and a laser does not resurface that deeply.  You may also be left with pigmentation changes after laser therapy.  I would consider talking to your board - certified plastic surgeon about a scar revision.

Samer W. Cabbabe, M.D.

Board - Certified Plastic Surgeon

Saint Louis Plastic Surgery Consultants

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Suture marks after blepharoplasty can often be improved

+1

While suture marks are rarely seen after upper eyelid blepharoplasty, they seem to me more common with transcutaneous lower eyelid blepharoplasty. At two years after the surgery, I do not think further observation is likely to show improvement. If skin contours are otherwise acceptable, laser resurfacing of the entire lower eyelid, with a little more aggressive treatment of the marks themselves, will likely be very beneficial at this point.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower Eyelid Blepharoplasty Scar Revision

+1

At this time, what you are seeing is your final result. These scars will not improve significantly by themselves.  As it is concerning to you, I would definitely seek a professional opinion at this time.  Depending on the scarring present, either a laser scar revision or a surgical scar revision may be appropriate.  Further, as you had issues with your postoperative scarring, there are some adjuncts used in the post scar revision period that may help improve your result.  Best wishes on achieving your goals. 

Luis Zapiach, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty scars

+1

Usually after a blepharoplasty, the incisions heal very well.  It is a bit unusual whatt you are describing.  Perhaps a revision can be performed.

Revision blepharoplasty works.

+1

Hi.

I  bet that you can be made to look better, and since you sound so unhappy, I think you should try. There are several options, and the most common are surgical revision and laser resurfacing.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

+1

As always a close up photo of these suture marks could help us answer your question for treatment options. I have a real issue - Why 2 years of waiting? well the treatment options are as follows: 1. live with it and use cover make up, 2. laser therapy, 3. fillers, 4. revision. Which one would be for you is impossible to tell. Best to have in person evaluations. from MIAMI

Suture marks visible 2 years after surgery

+1

Dear Brooklyn,

Without examining you, it is not possible to make an accurate diagnosis or treatement suggestion.  However, suture marks that are visible long after the surgery, may be due to a problem with your body's scar formation or because of less than ideal surgical technique.  In either case, I would suggest that you return to your surgeon to discuss your options, or seek the advice of another surgeon.  Typically, a scar revision may be helpful if the problem is related to the surgeon's technique.  If the problem is related to your body's scar formation, other options may be available, but the outcome may be less predictable. 

Dr. Michelle Yagoda

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD