Is It Too Risky to Have Eyelid Surgery with Acute Vitreous Detachment?

Bleph Risk with Acute Posterior Vitreous Detachment? Recently the vitreous of my eye has pulled away from my retina (normal aging). But it hasn't completely detached resulting in flashes of light at night. Is it advised to have a laser blepharoplasty during this time or should I wait until the vitreous has completely detached. I know retina detachment is a risk with a bleph. Would I be at more risk with the vitreous pulling on the retina (which alone could rarely lead to a retinal detach). What can cause retinal detach during surgery?

Vitreous separation and blpeharoplasty

+2

Most oculoplastic surgeons have good working relationships with Retina specialists. I would advise that your eyelid surgeon contact one of the retina colleagues to determine that your condition is stable.

If so a laser Blepharoplasty should be safe.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Presumably you are under the care of an ophthalmologist

+2

This is a good argument for having eyelid surgery with an eye plastic surgeon.  Eye plastic surgeons are also board certified ophthalmologists.  Assuming you are having "laser eyelid surgery" with some other type of plastic surgery specialist, you should not have eyelid surgery until cleared by your general ophthalmologist.  I would not rely on the opinion of an optometrist if this is who is providing your eye care.  Presumably you have had a detailed dilated ophthalmic examination by an ophthalmologist to look for any evidence of retinal holes or tears that can occur in association with the posterior vitreous detachment (PVD).  

It is general reasonable to reassess the PVD about 6 to 8 weeks later to confirm that have been no additional changes.  If there are questions, you should be seen by a retina specialist.  Only a small number of individuals with a PVD will develop a retinal detachment.  However, it is very treatable in the early stages and is a potential cause of blindness so great care is appropriate.  For this reason, when it is safe for you to have eyelid surgery must be dictated by your treating general ophthalmologist.

Also remember that having the eyelid surgery performed with a laser is no assurance that it will be performed correctly.  The surgeon not the cutting device is what is important.