How to Stop Bleeding Stitches After Tummy Tuck and Liposuction?

I had a full Tummy Tuck and Liposuction on May 27, 2009. All of my stitching is internal and I didn't wear bags for fluid leaks. The stitches on my right side were covered with a white strip.

When I went into my doc for a visit, it kept leaking and bleeding. The doc removed the white strip. My stitches keep on bleeding, if I cover it up with a maxi pad it stops but once it is uncovered it bleeds. It's not soaking up a pad but if I move too much it just bleeds. Is it infected? Help!

Pressure for bleeding but....

+1

Pressure, usually at the wound site, for at least 20-30 minutes will stop the bleeding. Unless you have a bleeding disorder this should take care of the problem. But this sounds like it's becoming a chronic problem so your surgeon needs to be all over it and do what needs to be done to get the bleeding to stop.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Where is your surgeon?

+1

Hi!   What you describe is not normal and requires evaluation right away.   You may have a seroma (collection of fluid) or a hematoma (blood clot) under the skin.  You may need a sonogram.  See your surgeon promptly!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Bleeding at suture line

+1

Bleeding at your suture line a week or two after surgery may be cause for concern. If you did not have any drains and your abdomen appears full or very bruised, you  may have a hematoma.  Definitely review this with your doctor.  Without examining you, I really can;t offer any advice.

How much are you bleeding?

+1

A few drops of blood might not be significant, but if you are dripping through the incisions, then you certainly could have a hematoma trying to leak out. Most bleeding should be done by now so you should definitely see your surgeon.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Hard to tell without examination

+1

There is possibility for infection, but more likely something called seroma which is a fluid collection beneath the skin. The fact that it continues to drain means that the fluid needs to come out so it is not neccessarily a bad thing. Return to your plastic surgeon so that they can examine your abdomen and let you know what is going on.

Good Luck!

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon