Bleeding on my Stomach 2 Weeks Post-op

I had liposuction on my stomach and it was really bruised. They told me to cover it with gauze and tape it down. Well when I was removing the gauze and had to peel the tape off it peeled off my skin in a bruised or burned area and started bleeding. Now I put a panty liner over it then put my garment on. When I remove it it has hard yellow stuff on the liner and and starts bleeding again. What is going on?

Also, my lower abs right above my panty line is protruding out. It is hard, swollen and warm. Am I going to be stuck like this?

Any advice is appreciated.

Raw Areas and Bruising after Liposuction, Warm, Swollen Lower Abdomen

+2

The bruising will likely resolve with time, the raw areas can be treated with antibiotic ointment and gauze, and the warm swollen area should be evaluated for a fluid collection.

Skin bleeding after liposuction

+2

Thanks for your pictures and questions.  It appears that you have suffered some skin blistering from the tape and possibly from the liposuction itself.  Cover these areas with non-adherent gauze such as Telfa and use some antibiotic ointment such as Bacitracin.  If you have an area that is hard, swollen, and warm, you should get checked out by your doctor ASAP to ensure that there is no infection.  Good luck!

Swelling and bleeding after liposuction

+2

Hello and thanks for your questions and photos.  The yellow stuff is your body's way of trying to heal the wounds from the adhesive tape ("tape burns"), which should resolve in a week or so.  The swelling and redness below the belly button is concerning because it could mean there is an infection in the fatty layer remaining.  I would contact your PS ASAP and be evaluated to see if antibiotics are appropriate in this case.  Hope this helps and best of luck.  Robert Kratschmer, MD

Liposuction versus Tummy Tuck

+2

In looking at your pictures, I see a lot of excess skin that appears to have lost its elasticity, as it has several stretch marks. The truth of the matter is, that assuming your Body Mass Index is less than 30 (your doctor can further instruct you on the BMI) you probably should have had a tummy tuck as opposed to liposuction.

That being said, it looks like you have some superficial skin abrasion or loss from removal of the tape, as you said. I would recommend covering this area with  a non-adherent dressing like Telfa just until you can see your doctor and have him evaluate you properly.

Abdomen

+2

First, you may end up being a little lumpy, because you appear to have loose skin. If that happens, the only way to adequately correct it would be abdominoplasty. Hopefully your skin will snap back, but that can be problematic in the abdomen.

Second, the bleeding area appears to be tape burn, or ischemic skin from the liposuction. You need to go back to your surgeon and let him see your abdomen.

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and skin

+2

From the photos posted you do not look like a good candidate for liposuction. Your skin appears loose with many stretch marks. The marks on the abdomen looks like tape burns but should be evaluated in person.

Bleeding on skin after Liposuction, Normal?

+1

Difficult to tell, I would tell you to follow up with your PS ASAP to discuss and evaluate your current situation to confirm that he is aware, good luck

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Blistering after liposuction

+1

Blistering is uncommon after liposuction, but can happen from damage to the skin. I would expect the blistered areas to settle down - keep them clean and apply some moisturising cream until they settle. If you see any sign of infection (redness, pain, pus etc.) see your surgeon/doctor straight away.

The hardness may represent an area of damaged fat cells (called traumatic fat necrosis) - they usually settle down over time.

Keep in touch with your surgeon until these settle.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.