Bleeding at Incision Site

I had breast reduction surgery 4 weeks ago and have noticed that under one breast I have a crusty spot where the incision comes together,is that normal, also I noticed tonight after my shower that my incision leading up to my nipple is bleeding and looks to be a little open is this normal , what can I do about it?

Breast reduction incisions at 4 weeks

+2

The bleeding and crusting you describe along your incision lines is most likely okay. The crusting where the incisions come together can occur when there is tension pulling on the incision. If there is any separation along the incisions, the most common location for this is at the T where the incisions meet (like you describe). I recommend applying antibiotic ointment to any open wounds (crusting or bleeding sites) until they are healed. I also recommend close follow-up with your surgeon until you are healed. If there is something else going on, such as infection, he or she can act on it early so that you have the best result possible.

Healing after breast reduction

+1
This can all be a normal part of the healing process as breast reductions have long incisions to heal. From what you describe local wound care with antibiotic ointment should be enough to heal the areas. It is always advisable to see your surgeon for an exam.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Breast Reduction Healing Issues?

+1

Superficial wound healing problems and/or discharge are not uncommon after breast reduction surgery. These usually go on to heal without further treatment and without detracting from the long-term surgical results.

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

After Breast Reduction Surgery - the Healing

+1

It is very common to have a bit of crusting at the lower incision line where two suture lines come together. Check with your doctor or the office nurse to find out what is their preferred treatment to help this heal. It is also not uncommon to have a bit of late bleeding from a suture line, but if there is any separation of the incision, you will need to have it examined. Most separations if they are small will heal without difficulty, but it is always best to check with your doctor.

Carlin Vickery, MD

Bleeding at Incision Site

+1

BEST TO TO ALWAYS CONTACT YOUR TREATING SURGEON. Otherwise, sounds like a minor issue of wound separation that with local care can resolve on its own. From Miami

Healing after Breast Reduction

+1

Most likely there is just some superficial separation of the skin edges.  The crusting is likely a scab as the body is trying to heal.  However, it would be best for you to see your surgeon to ensure that everything is healing as expected.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Delayed healing

+1

Sometimes there is some delayed healing at the incision after a breast reduction especially at the "T" of an acnhor incision. This usually goes on to heal with few if any problems.

Bleeding at Incision Site

+1

It is not uncommon at all to have some crusting and bleeding along your incisions after breast reduction.  Keep antibiotic ointment and a clean dressing over these areas, and they should heal up nicely.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction - Bleeding at Site

+1

Hi heavy79,

It's actually pretty common to have spots of bleeding and crusting at the incision sites after breast reductions (and many other procedures, actually).  You should, of course, be in touch with your own plastic surgeon about this but, in general, this is not something I would be overly concerned about at this early stage.

It may take a few days or even weeks to heal up but even that is not necessarily too much of a concern.  In fact it usually heals up surprisingly well.

It's a different story (or may be) if there is an implant involved, such as after breast enlargement, breast implants and a lift, etc.  But for most of the procedures in which this does occur (eg, tummy tucks, etc) it's usually not much more than a blip on the recovery.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Wound Healing After Breast Reduction

+1

The crusty spot which you describe and the bleeding and wound separation could be inconsequential or could be sings of a problem which needs to addressed.  In either case, you should inform your operating surgeon of these invents.  He/she can let you know what you should do for these concerns although he/she will need a bit more information.

John Whitt, MD