Can Bleeding Gums Cause Teeth Stain?

After I floss my teeth, sometimes I bleed and it gets onto my teeth. Can blood stain my teeth?

Gum bleeding could mean gum disease

+1

Bleeding on the outside of your teeth won't cause them to stain, but gums really shouldn't be bleeding when you floss. It could mean you have gum disease. If you haven't seen a dentist for awhile, it would be a good idea to get a check up (including gum exam) and cleaning.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Can bleeding gums stain teeth

+1

First, your gums should not bleed when you floss. This is a sign of a chronic bacterial infection that, if left untreated, may lead to permanent damage to your gums, bones and teeth. The blood could result in surface stains of your teeth and it could result in stain around leaky fillings or crowns.

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

Bleeding does not stain teeth

+1

However bleeding gums are a warning sign of gum disease. You should not bleed when you floss. If you do, you should consult a periodontist as an underlying disease may be present.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Teeth discoloration from gum bleeding

+1

Bleeding of gum tissue does not cause any discoloration, but if your tooth is traumatized and internal bleeding occurs, that can definitely discolor your tooth permanently.

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Blood usually does not stain teeth

+1

Trauma to a tooth can cause a tooth to bleed internally, causing discoloration, but external exposure to blood does not usually affect the color of teeth.

Web reference: http://www.DrTimmerman.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.