I had a rhinoplasty and septoplasty and turbinate reduction on Dec 28th 2012. Bleeding After Rhinoplasty?

I had a rhinoplasty and septoplasty and turbinate reduction on Dec 28th 2012. Yesterday my nose started profusely bleeding for 4 hours, filling up my ENTIRE scarf with blood and many gauzes/tissues. 4 hours later (and a trip to the hospital) it finally stopped, but today it started again. It only lasted an hour. What is going on?

Bleeding after Rhinoplasty

+1

Any bleeding after septorhinoplasty and turbinate work, especially the amount of bleeding you describe, needs to be evaluated by your surgeon.   Your surgeon should be able to manage this better than the ER.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Bleeding can occur after rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure.  It has a risk of complications. Bleeding can occur after rhinoplasty.  It there is severe bleeding the best approach is to go to the nearest emergency department.  A visit to the surgeon who performed the procedure is also a good idea.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bleeding after nasal surgery

+1

Any bleeding after nasal surgery should be taken very seriously. You need to be evaluated by an Otolaryngologist to determine the source of bleeding. While you are waiting to do that, please read below to know what you can do to prevent this from happening again or stop it when it starts.

NASAL CARE FOR WINTER

1. SALINE NASAL SPRAY (over the counter) to be used 3 to 5 times a day. I like the brand ‘Simply Saline’ or ‘Ocean’
2. AYR GEL TUBE (over the counter) to be applied to the nostrils twice a day, especially before going to bed.
3. Use a COOL MIST HUMIDIFIER in your bedroom every night and please clean it every weekend. Keep the humidity above 50%
4. Change the FURNACE FILTER every 3 months using high performance 3M Filtrete Filter with (MPR) microparticle rating of 1700 or higher
5. Get a HEPA air purifier for the bedroom
6. YOU MAY USE BREATHE RIGHT OR BREATHE EZ STRIPS TO KEEP YOUR NOSE OPEN AT NIGHT
7. FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES REGULARLY THROUGHOUT THE DRY WINTER MONTHS AND AS NEEDED IN SUMMER
FOR PATIENTS EXPERIENCING A NOSEBLEED
1. Pinch your nose with the thumb and two fingers with significant pressure and hold it for at least five minutes. Sit up straight, do not put your head back or lean forward. Apply ice to your forehead if available.
2. You can use these over the counter products to stop an active nose bleed.
a) NASALCEASE
b) NOSEBLEED –QR

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bleeding After Septo-Rhinoplasty?

+1

I am sorry to hear about the unfortunate event of bleeding after Septo-rhinoplasty with Turbinate removal. There are many ways for Turbinate removal. Its a structure which is anatomically very vascular ( Full of Blood ) and some surgeons cauterize it well and makes sure that it stops bleeding towards the end of surgery. While some surgeons apply so stiches after cutting them off surgically. There are special cautery tips for these to be cauterized still they bleed profusely. I normally leave a pack socked with epinephrine ( 1:100,00 dilution )  towards the end of surgery to be left overnight and 12 hours .This kind of pack is enough to cause vasoconstriction that stops bleeding. Its removed with the other packs that are removed next day morning before sending patient home. I think if you go to your surgeon he may pack it similarly which may help it to stop bleeding.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Bleeding After Rhinoplasty

+1

What you are experiencing is quite uncommon following rhinoplasty surgery. Hopefully, they (and you) have contacted your rhinoplasty surgeon regarding these events. In situations like this, an area inside of the nose may require cauterization or packing in order to control the continued bleeding. Wishing you the best of luck.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bleeding after rhinoplasty

+1

Bleeding after rhinoplasty is uncommon, though when it happens it can be spectacular. You have had more that what is typical with rhinoplasty with your septoplasty and turbinate removal. Your doctor will need to look inside the nose and see where there might be a friable area that needs to be cauterized and kept in check.