Is Bleaching of Teeth Possible if Having Porcelain Veneers?

If I have only a few of my teeth covered up with porcelain veneers, can I bleach the teeth without veneers then? Or does the bleaching harm the porcelain veneers?

Bleaching with veneers

+3

You can safely bleach your teeth, bleaching gel is not going to affect your veneers, if you already have veneers placed. You have to keep in mind that color of veneers will not change,only color of your teeth will. If you are considering bleaching of your teeth and placing few veneers, then best would be to whiten your teeth first, wait about 2 weeks until the color will settle and then take the final shade and fabricate your veneers.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Yes -Whitening surrounding teeth next to porcelain veneers works

+2

Whitening/bleaching your natural teeth, not veneered, is a great way to match your smile.  Often times patients elect to have veneers on just the upper front teeth - but still want to select a whiter shade.  In this case, whitening the back upper teeth and the lower teeth, is often a wonderful solution.  The natural teeth and the veneers all match.

Some patients prefer to whiten their non-veneered teeth first.  In this case, the new veneers would be matched to the whitened natural teeth. This also may be the more predictable choice.

Greg Lutke, DDS
Plano Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening after Veneers

+2

You can always whiten teeth not covered by veneers.  I have even used tooth bleach to whiten around old veneers to get off stain and it works!!!  You can even try to whiten behind the veneers if you think they have changed color with time.

Obviously it is smarter to whiten before you do veneers but teeth do fade and finding a dentist who will try creative approaches can help you.  Good luck-

Wendy S. Spektor, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Bleach Your Teeth Prior to Veneers

+2

Depending on why you are getting porcelain veneers, it may be a good idea to bleach your teeth (if possible) prior to veneering your teeth. This will allow your veneers to be made translucent so the underside of your teeth can show through the veneer and be more realistic. 

If you have a tooth that had a root canal and you feel the colour is getting darker talk to your dentist about "internal Bleaching" or "Walking Bleach"

Jonathan Abenaim, DMD
Ridgewood Cosmetic Dentist

Whitening of teeth and veneers

+2

You can certainly whiten the teeth that don't have veneers and as long as it's not done excessively, it should not harm your veneers. It's always difficult (if not impossible) when whitening teeth, to predict the final shade that will be reached. You just need to understand that the odds of whitening to the exact shade of your veneers are not good. You're very likely to end up with two different shades.

Paul D. Kantor, DDS
Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Bleaching will not hurt veneers or crowns, but will not whiten them either.

+2

Bleaching will not hurt porcelain veneers or crowns. The issue is that the exact color your natural teeth will change to is a "crap shoot" . You will not know in advanced if they will be darker, the same or lighter than your veneers. 

Mitchell A. Josephs, DDS
Palm Beach Cosmetic Dentist

Can I Bleach (or Whiten) My Teeth if I have Veneers?

+2

The answer is yes, you can still bleach or whiten your other teeth. It sounds like you are already aware that your porcelain veneers won't actually lighten.

Your other natural teeth are still susceptible to all of the other things that cause teeth to darken over time (things like: aging, wine, and .coffee).

When possible, my preference is to avoid the teeth whitening gel on your veneers. While I have never seen actual damage, you could deteriorate the cement.

On the other hand, a little gel on the veneers can keep stain from developing at the margins, just don't overdo it.

Like with all other cosmetic dental procedures, ask your personal cosmetic dentist exactly what he wants you to do for your mouth. Thanks, Dr. Scott Greenhalgh, DDS.

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Bleaching Veneers

+2

Veneers are not harmed by dental whitening.  In fact, whitening products do not effect them in any way.

I would strongly suggest you consider whitening prior to having the veneers placed.  Once you have whitened your natural teeth to an acceptable shade, the veneers can be fabricated to match your natural teeth.  It will also give you a reference point should you decide to repeat whitening in the future.  It is not easy to control the whitening process or extent, so trying to whiten teeth to match veneers is not always perfect.

Marc Zive, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Bleach away!!!

+1

Bleaching  teeth that don't have veneer restorations is fine. Just keep in mind that veneered teeth will not change color. Just place the gel in the tray where you natural teeth are, so that you don't waste gel. If you happen to get bleach on your veneered teeth with will not hurt them.  If you are considering replacing your veneers bleach first to your desired "reachable" shade, stop for 10 days to allow color to stabilize then choose shade for your new veneers just keep in mind that you will have to continue to bleach as long as you want your natural teeth to match your veneers.

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Does Bleaching / Whitening harm porcelain veneers?

+1

Whitening (bleaching) products will not affect your porcelain veneer and hence can be used to whiten any adjacent teeth.  But you must realize that no whitening product will ever alter the colour of your porcelain veneers or crowns.  If you have yet to get veneers I would recommend that you whiten the adjacent teeth before the veneers are done so the porcelain colour can match the adjacent bleached teeth. 

Dan Haas, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist