Which is better blade or bladeless lasik eye surgery?

LASIK versus bladeless LASIK surgery

+1

This is an easy question to answer. A mountain of research has demonstrated that blade-less procedures including Femtosecond LASIK and PRK are much safer than LASIK with a blade.

San Diego Ophthalmologist

Blade vs. bladeless Lasik surgery, which is better

+1

I have performed thousands of surgeries both with the blade and with the femtosecond laser (bladeless). My feeling is that either way works well in general but that the laser is safer and tends to healing with less complications such as flap wrinkling. If I personally was having surgery on my eyes I would go with the laser. You as the patient need to be aware that some Lasik centers do not have a femtosecond laser but will say that they perform bladeless surgery. The reason they say this is because they can perform PRK (Photorefractive Keratectomy) without a blade. However PRK is a different technique than Lasik and does not involve the creation of a corneal flap. PRK is generally more painful than Lasik and has a more lengthy visual recovery.

Brian Davis, MD
Salt Lake City Ophthalmologist