Blackheads After Rhinoplasty?

I'm three weeks post op, everything seems to be going just great! However, I have a lot of nasty and persistent blackheads on my nose. It looks real awful. I've tried gentle cleansers, astringents, you know name it, I've tried it. How long do I have to wait until I am able to fully get rid of these pesky blackheads? Also, what would be the least traumatic method of getting rid of the blackheads? A facial? A blackhead extractor? My finger nails? Thank you all in advanced!

Blackheads after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is common for this to happen because the nasal splint and tape are applied right after the surgery, the skin is soft and pores are open. Your skin is not breathing and you aren't able to clean the area due to the splint. After 3 weeks your nose is still tender so it is important not to put any pressure on it. I would have your plastic surgeon examine it on your next follow up appointment.

Blackheads After Rhinoplasty

+1

At three weeks your nose is very tender. I recommend that you refrain from extracting the blackheads on your nose. The least traumatic option would be to limit oil buildup with a cleaning solution. You may want to visit a dermatologist for medication if the issue is very problematic.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

3 weeks post rhinoplasty and skin issues

+1

The nasal skin will often be very oily after rhinoplasty.This may lead to blackheads.  At three weeks the nose is still in a "tender" state and it would not be wise to push hard on the nost to extract them.

Nasal Blackheads Cleaning After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

At 3 weeks post-op, your nose is somehow fragile and cannot be pinched and squeezed.

Cleaning your nasal blackheads should be gentle and with minimally applied pressure.

That being said, I recommend that you consult with your surgeon who knows the full details of your surgery and can physically examining your nose to recommend the perfect method to remove your nasal blackheads.

Nasal strip could not be a good idea but cleansing cremes may be the solution although the amount removed blackheads may not be optimal; definitely, do not use your fingernails to push the blackheads out.

I hope this helps and thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS