Can a Black Woman with History of Keloids Get a Breast Lift?

I'm a black woman intersted in a breast lift without implants ( C cup). I also keloid should I even consider this surgery being that is not for health reasons.

Surgery in black woman

+2

You probably get hypertrophic scars rather than keloids which can be treated with kenalog injections and lasers if they do not go down by themselves. I have had a lot of experience in that area. I would use primarily dissolvable stitches and wear tapes and even silicone sheeting after surgery. Even with all that, your scars may be raised, spread and red. So, you need to decide whether you could accept that if it did occur. Watch my video.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Keloid history and breast surgery

+2

If you have a strong history of keloid formation,  then there is a high risk of keloid formation on the breasts.

Keloids and breast lift

+2

Keloids are definitely a risk. If the lift you envision is not worth the risk of scars, don't do it. At some point, the degree of sagging or level of what you consider to be unattractive will be great enough to make the scars acceptable. However, you might consult with a plastic surgeon to see if what you are referring to are truly keloids and not simply hypertrophic scars.

Breast Lifting with History of Keloid Scarring?

+1

You are faced with a tough decision. You will need to weigh the pros and cons of breast lift surgery as well as the risks associated with abnormal scarring/keloid formation. Ultimately, only you will be able to make this decision.

Your plastic surgeon can use meticulous technique and postoperative measures such as silicone sheeting to help;  however, despite best efforts keloid  scarring can still occur and be problematic.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/african-american.htm

Keloid scar formation with breast lift in black individuals

+1

Black individuals are reportedly at a 19 times higher risk of developing keloids when compared to caucasions. There are certain privileged areas on the body that are less prone (READ: not zero) to keloid scar formation. This included the areola. IF you are a candidate, it may be preferable to perform a circumareolar mastopexy or Benelli modification with parenchymal rearrangement to diminish your risk of keloid or hypertrophic scar formation.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.