I Have a Black Tattoo That is Almost a Month Old and It Scarred a Bit. Will Scars Remain After Laser Treatment?

If I do laser removal can I get a tattoo in same spot? Judging by my photo, how many sessions would this take? Also can I have parts of existing tattoo lightened to enhance it?

Laser tattoo removal of a tattoo that is scarred

+2

The scar will likely remain to some degree with laser tattoo removal. In dermatology we do have lasers that can also improve the appearance of scars so those can be an option if the appearance of the scars bothers you. 

Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Scarring after a tattoo. Can it be removed?

+1

Scarring after a tattoo is not unusual and usually will improve over time since your tattoo is only a month old.  Black tattoos usually remove well with laser treatment compared to other colors such as blue and green.  You can also lighten up certain areas and leave others.  I commonly do this for patients with exrtensive bodyart who want something new.  I would plan on 8-10 treatments spaced 6 weeks aprt for treatment.  Hope this helps!

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon