Help for a Black Male with Surgery Scar Discoloration on Neck

May of 2008, I was involved in an incident that nearly claimed my life. The doctors had to make an incision across my neck. The surgery scar was fine at first but soon became a raised and hypertrophic but not keloidal (my mother suffers from the same condition. The scar throbbed and itched for 2 years until I went to a doctor and received kenalog injections which flattened the scar and nearly completely soothed the discomfort. I now just have a flat brown scar. can I improve its appearance?

Scar removal treatment for dark scars on the neck - Melaquin AM and Melaquin PM for dark scars

+1

This hyperpigmented neck scar should first receive topical treatment for the discoloration with Melaquin AM and Melaquin PM cream for 3 to 6 months, followed by interval examination. 

Hyperpigmented scar on neck

+1

The hyperpigmentation of the scar can be lighted with high concentration hydroquinone products, intralesional steroid injections and Q-Switched Nd:Yag laser devices.

Cheryl M. Burgess, MD
Washington Dermatologic Surgeon

Try Scarguard before additional surgery...it will help.

+1

Many topical treatments will help. Scar tissue can be melted no matter how old it is or what made it as long as it is either overgrown or still growning. If it is sunken, nothing will work.

Topical silicone sheeting does this, but is a bit cumbersome. Scarguard is a liquid that dries to an almost invisible flexible film sheet. You can never erase a scar but this product will make it look better.

Sure, you can operate and revise a scar, get cortisone shots and do a lot of more aggressive things, but start with this product. At the very least it will help. Often, its all that is needed. 

Joel Studin, MD

Treatment of neck scar

+1
Approaches to consider are the obvious camouflage with jewelry (gold or silver chain will totally hide this), cosmetics (e.g. Linda Seidel, theatrical make-up, Covermark, etc.), or clothing. Can also try combination hydroquinone-tretinoin bleaching creams, fraxel, intense pulsed light, and other lasers that target pigment, such as 940 or 1064 nm wavelength. As a last resort, surgical scar revision with post operative low dose radiation if needed (& steroid injection) or micro pigmentation (tattoo) are possibilities.

Steve Laverson, MD