Best Treatment for Dark Circles?

I am 22 years old female, and I've been suffering from black circles ever since I was 16. It has gotten worse in the past couple of years. I can't go out without wearing a concealer, and darkness is there even if I've had sleep. The color varies from light brown to yellowish blue, just like the effect in post-surgeries. I have thin skin in that area as well. Are ther any recommended procedures or topical creams for this problem? Thank you so much.

Laser, IPL and Surgery all can help dark circles under the eyes

+1

Dark circles

under the eyes are a very common problem which bothers many young people.

The causes of dark circles unde the eyes are varied, and the treatment depoends on the cause.

Thin lower eyelid skin allows the purple color of the underlying muscle to show through and darken eyelid color. pigment from sun exposure also darkens lower eyelid skin.

Pigment can be removed with IPL treatments. Fractional non ablative Erbium laser treatments can help pigment and may also thicken the deeper layers of the skin.

The depressed shadow beneath the lower eyelid, near the nose creates a shadow which appears as a dark circle. A surgical procedure called an arcus release and composite fat grafting can plump this depression and eliminate the dark shadow.

You need to see an expert on these techniques, as many doctors do not understand how to treat dark circles under the eyes.

Web reference: http://www.news-medical.net/news/2008/01/14/34282.aspx

Dark circles under eyes

+1

There are no good treatments for dark circles under the eyes, especially in a young patient. As patients get older, the dark cicrles may be due to loss of volume and thin skin which may benefit from a filler such as Juvederm or a fat transfer. Topical creams have little to no permanent success at treating this condition. Occasionally patients will have bags under their eyes, which can mimic dark circles, and in certain cases will benefit from a lower eyelid surgical procedure to tighten the tissues of the inner eye, with very minimal fat removal.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to any lower eyelid surgery.

Dr. Bruno

Dark Circles Under Eyes, What is the Best Treatment?

+1

Hi Linzo,

You are a beautiful girl. Part of your beauty is found in your dark ethnic eyes.

Dark circles such as yours are genetic, occaisionally due to allergies. Best to continue using concealer, and not focus on the dark lower eyelids.

There are no good skin products for dark circles around the eyes. As you get older, if the lower lid hollows deepen, you may benefit from Restylane filler in the area. In some selected patients, laser treatments may help.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Concealers are helpful for dark circles

+1

Dear Linzo

The best treatment is to fill the hollow with Restylane filler. This changes how the lower eyelid hollow shadows. The darkness is due to dark muscle that is just below the surface of the skin. The dark appearance is optical from the fact that light that passes through the skin is absorbed by the dark red muscle and is unavailable to be reflected off this layer and back into the skin. This makes the eyelid look dark. Cover up decrease the amount of light penetrating the skin and the dark circles are improved.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.