Biting Pain After Root Canal?

Initially I had my bottom left tooth filled for a cavity, but began to feel pain when I chewed with that tooth. There was a crack in the tooth that was exacerbated or caused by the filling, and they put a Crown on. Pain continued, so they finally went with a root canal. The rest of the day after the root canal, my whole mouth hurt, but the following day, the general soreness is gone, but the chewing pain is much worse. Swallowing or anything at all touching that tooth causes pain.

It can be normal but...

+2

Hi, it's possible that it is just post operative discomfort after root canal. However, it may be a crack that occurred initially that ultimately has widened. Unfortunately, in this circumstance, you may need the tooth extracted and consideration to replacement if required

London Cosmetic Dentist

Tooth Soreness Normal After A Root Canal

+1

Do not be overly concerned.  It is completely normal  to have soreness after a root canal, especially when chewing on it.  For this reason, we will typically "shorten" the tooth slightly to keep it from hitting when you chew following a root canal. At this point, a good dose of Advil and taking the tooth out of "occlusion" should be all that is necessary. 

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Crack in Tooth and Pain After Root Canal

+1

Hi godzilla66...I am truly sorry what has happened to you. Many fractures are not seen in an x ray and are difficult to see with the naked eye. If the crack affects on or more cusp of the tooth, a crown works. If the crack affects the pulp, a root canal will usually take care of it. In some cases, and it looks like you may be one of them, the tooth may need to be extracted. Cracks extend into the root of the tooth under the bone and there is no way to fix the tooth. If the dentist decides on extraction, a bridge or implant is what you will be looking at. Your dentist should have informed you of the prognosis a fractured tooth before a root canal was done. Sometimes this does not work but you should have been informed of your options at the beginning of treatment.  Again I am so, so sorry!

Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Normal Pain

+1

Usually the ligament around the tooth usually get inflamed. This is common you have nothing to worry about. Should slowly relive itself.

Mexico Cosmetic Dentist

Pain after root canal

+1

Pain after root canal is normal. but it should subside as time goes by . Here's what can be done to help the tooth heal faster

1) Anti inflamatory pain relievers such as ibuprofen

2) Refraining from chewing on the tooth

3) The dentist reducing the tooth height

4) if infected antibiotics

Now healing differs from individual to individual due to any or all  of the following reasons :

1) Extent of destruction of the tooth

2) Expertise of the dentist

3) If the patient is a grinder or clincher

4) If infection exists

5) The time in which the tooth was diseased . teeth that have chronic issues heal later. so for example if a tooth has been infected for 2 months , it uaually heals later.

6) If cracks exists

So give it a little time, and if the pain  is not getting better ( not completely gone) in a week or so, call your dentist

good luck

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Pain after a root canal?

+1

Generally it is normal to have biting pain after a root canal for a few days if it continues we suggest antibiotics and if it still continues contact your dentist good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Pain while biting after a root canal

+1

Ideally a root canal treated tooth takes a week to 10 days to heal completely. We advise our patients to not to bite on that tooth for a minimum of 3-5 days and also give analgesics (pain killers with anti inflammatory properties) for 2 to 3 days as they reduce pain and also help in healing. Reducing the height of the tooth so that it does not touch the opposite tooth, should also be done post treatment to avoid pain. If the pain persists consult your dentist.

India Cosmetic Dentist

PAIN AFTER ROOT CANAL

+1

It is not unusual to have pain when you bite after a root canal.  This can be due to a lot of reasons.  The main one is irritation at the apex of the tooth due to the root canal procedure itself.  Or it may be due to the fact that you may have had an abscess at the end of the tooth before the root canal was done.  A few days of antibiotics and grinding the tooth down so you don't bite on it will often resolve the problem.  However your particular case may be different.  A lot of dentists are reluctant to grind a new crown down to prevent you from biting on it, specially if the crown does not need to be redone. If that is the only issue that will be resolved with antibiotic and time.  BUT, if the fracture is down the root and the tooth keeps getting reinfected because there is bacteria along the fracture line, that a whole different issue. 

Give it a few days, take some antiobiotics.  If you are still hjaving pain consult your dentist or a specialist in root canal.  (an Endodontist).

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Biting Pain after RCT

+1

This is common. I instruct my patients not to bite on an endodontically treated tooth for a couple of weeks.  It also helps to reduce the height of the tooth so it doesn't contact when biting. (Reduce the occlusion).  Root canal teeth often need time to heal.  If it doesn't heal in a few months have it looked at.

Washington Cosmetic Dentist