What Is The Best Treatment Option To Lighten a Port Wine Stain Birthmark on Dark Skin?

Hello I was just wondering if someone with dark skin tone with a portwine stain birthmark is able to get laser treatment done on their skin to make the birthmark less visible?? I understand that the more melonin their is harder to make the birthmark less visible to the eye but am wanting to know if their is any posibility at all for treatment to be done. If so what laser do you recomend for it?

Depends..on how dark the skin is- V beam or 755 Alex

+1
I have done quite a few treatments for portwine stains even on darker Asian skin with the V beam laser. If in doubt I always test patch.....
Also we can use the 755 Alex laser for portwine stains, or even the 1064 for blebs. 

Generally a longer pulse duration and lower energy levels are needed for darker skin types. 

Hope that helps

Dr Davin S. Lim 
Dermatologist, Brisbane. Australia

Brisbane Dermatologist

Laser is best

+1

Thank you for your question.  There are various ways to remove birthmarks, depending on its etiology.  For example, a birthmark caused due to a vascular problem needs a completely different treatment than a birthmark such as a mole.  More often than not, vascular birthmarks need to have some form of laser treatment.  They can require more, but a laser is generally a minimum.  Other birthmarks such as a mole, can be excised in the office with relative ease.  The size and location will determine the final outcome.  A photograph always helps but there is no substitute for and in person physical examination.  Make sure you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon for the best outcomes.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Laser Treatment for Port-Wine Stain in Darker Skin

+1

With all the new and improved lasers available today, we are able to more effectively treat port-wine stains (PWS) on darker skin types. It is important that the correct vascular laser for your skin type be used and will likely require several treatments. I recommend you consult with a board-certified physician who is a laser specialist.  It also may require the use of more than one laser and a doctor who specializes in laser treatments typically has the right lasers that allow for effective treatments with minimal side effects or risks.  

Channing R. Barnett, MD