Birthmark Excision Surgery in 3 Days.

I'm having a round black birthmark(a little larger than a pencil eraser) removed from my cheek in a couple of days by a plastic surgeon. He said that it should just leave thin line scar less noticeable than the mole but I'm still really nervous about the cosmetic results. What can I expect after it heals?

Pigmented Birthmark (Mole) excision from face

Pigmented birthmarks, moles, are directly removed surgically. Because it is relatively small it can be closed directly after removal leaving a fine line scar in most cases. See a board certified plastic surgeons for best result and make sure what is removed is sent in for testing. Occasionally a hypertrophic scar or keloid can form but this is unusual in this location.

3991 MacArthur Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Scars are difficult to predict

First, there are no guarantees when it comes to scars.  After the surgery, the scar will be firm and ropy for a few days to a few weeks.  This is normal and will settle down if repaired well.  There will likely be some redness that will fade with time.  Anywhere from days to months, but it will fade.  

Good luck

Daniel I. Wasserman, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon

8625 Collier Blvd
Naples, FL 34114

Relax, you should have nice result if you follow your plastic surgeon's advice

A simple plastic excision is the best way to remove a pencil sized birthmark or nevus.  Usually you will have a very fine line if any.  It takes some time for the line to fade, but ofter it will fade away until you can hardly see it.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

440 West 200 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84101

Dermabrading the scar from mole removals help a lot in improving the cosmetic results.

Any time you have a mole excised, it is a good idea to dermabrade the edges of the excision at the time of removal and again 6 wks later to the resulting scar to give the best cosmetic result. Hybrisil is a good topical solution to apply to the scar as it helps fade it quicker.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

9201 W Sunset Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90069

There are no guarantees to scars.Scars are genetically predetermined.

If you are not sure  DO NOT DO THE SURGERY. Once you have a scar it can not be erased.

10 East 31 Street
Baltimore, MD 21218