Just received temporary crowns. What should I watch out for?

It's my 21st birthday in 3 days and I have just received temporary crowns for My two front teeth a day ago and I am concerned what should I watch out for?

Aftercare for a temporary crown

+1

There are a few guidelines during the temporary crown phase:

1) Avoid chewing and biting directly with the temporary teeth, especially sticky foods

2) Brush as usual but be particularly gentle on the temporary crowns to avoid dislodging them

3) Be very gentle with flossing and pull the floss string out through the side.

4) Be aware of biting fingernails, pencils, etc that may cause the temps to dislodge.

5) Call the dental office if the temps fall off and it can easily be put back on.

Boston Cosmetic Dentist

+1

Two things, you want to keep your gums healthy and you don't want to loosen or lose the temporary crowns.

Brush your teeth gently at least 3-4 times a day, and especially make sure to brush around the gums of the temporary crowns. Also, don't floss unless your dentist told you to, as flossing can loosen the temporary crowns.

Regarding loosening them, be very careful what you bite into. Nothing hard or sticky. Cut up your food into smaller bites and chew on the back teeth. Eat softer foods.

If a temporary crown falls off, make sure to save it. Call your dentist and it can usually be recemented with temporary cement in just a few minutes. If you lose it, it will take more time, as the dentist would have to start from scratch making a new temporary crown.

Norman Huefner, DDS
Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

+1

Don't chew ice cubes, open bottle caps, bite on hard crust..........................................

Murray Bruckel, DDS
Norwalk Cosmetic Dentist