Which Birth Control Pill Best Prevents Acne?

I am 30 years old and have struggled with acne since fifth grade. My current pill, Lo/Ovral, helps the acne on my face, but I'm breaking out along the jawline and neck; it's especially bad the week before my period.

The pimples can be painful and sometimes bleed if they break open while washing or toning my face.

Yaz

+2

Yaz has an anti-androgen effect that helps acne the most of all oral contraceptives. In severe cases, 25mg of spironolactone can also be added. I also recommend Tazorac and some type of topical antibiotic. Tazorac helps clear and then prevents recurrence. Isolaz pneumatic IPL as well as Cooltouch and Smoothbeam lasers round out the list for those who want to treat acne without oral antibiotics or retinoids.

New Orleans Dermatologist

Which birth control pill is best for acne

+1

Many of the current estrogen-progesterone combination birth control pills are effective for acne, though Yaz, Yasmin and Diane-35 are likely the best, and Alesse would be a good option as well. Topical prescription therapy would likely be helpful as an adjunct. Some lasers, peels, and microdermabrasion can be of added benefit. Best to speak with your dermatologist.  ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon