Should Birth Control Be Discontinued Before Doing Cellulaze?

I read that someone was advised not to use birth control before their Cellulaze appointment. This is the opposite of what I would expect. Are there complications that can arise from Cellulaze if someone is on certain types of birth control, or would there be other medical reasons for this?

Cellulaze and birth control

It is safe to use birth control during cellulaze treatments. However it is a risk factor for hyperpigmentation- a darker discoloration around the incision sites. This would be the case for any incision not just cellulaze though. This risk is really low in most people though so unless you have malasma or discoloration from the birth control pills or previous pregnancies it should not be a problem.

1307 Macom Drive
Naperville, IL 60564

Birth Control Pills and Cellulaze

There should be no reason you would need to discontinue or temporarily stop taking birth control pills for a procedure like Cellulaze.  Though you are advised not to exercise for a few weeks after treatment, you are by no means bed ridden and can walk around as you normally would.  It's always best to ask your surgeon what their personal preference is prior to surgery with regards to medications, supplements, etc.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

4644 Lincoln Blvd
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292

Should Birth Control Be Discontinued Before

I see no issue but discuss with your certified CELLULAZE doc in your consult. Regards and good luck. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

OCP and Cellulaze

Hello and thanks for ther question.  OCP can cause hyperpigmentation and you could be at a higher risk for this with Cellulaze.  But just stopping it before the surgery and then to resume afterwards would have little affect on your hormone levels.  I hope this helps, and best of luck.

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Robert Kratschmer, MD

11200 Broadway St.
Pearland, TX 77584

Birth Control and Cellulaze

There should be no reason that you would have to discontinue birth control medication prior to Cellulaze.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

60 East 56th Street
New York, NY 10022

Birth control pills and Cellulaze

There should be no reason to stop birth control pills during Cellulaze treatment.  Some other medications, such as ones that increase the risk of bleeding, may need to be stopped.  Check with your board-certified plastic surgeon.

Naveen Setty, MD

175 Ridge Road
McKinney, TX 75070

BCPs and cellulaze

You should be fine to continue with your BCPs.  But please ask your Cellulaze surgeon for his/her specfic recommendations.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

6400 Fannin
Houston, TX 77030