Concerns After Mole Removal? Non-malignant

I had a mole removed from my shoulder a few (3-4) months ago because of concerns about skin cancer. Originally it healed into a slightly sunken pink/red scar but recently it has darkened and gotten puffy. It looks like it did before, only slightly smaller and more irregular. Should I be concerned or is this normal?

Mole removal

+1

I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation and possible treatment. 

Mole removal

+1

Consult a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON( AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY).

Whether this is a hypertrophic scar or incomplete removal of mole the surgeon can help.

Concerns about mole removal

+1

There are two possibilities for what you describe:

1. The mole recurred.  Check with the doctor that removed the mole to make sure the biopsy result was benign.

2. Given the location of the mole removal, it is also possible that there is a keloidal scar forming in that area.

I recommend showing the area to the doctor who performed the mole removal.  If the mole was benign by previous biopsy, most likely there is no reason for concern.  If it is a keloid forming in the area, you may need an intralesional injection of kenalog to decrease the size and symptoms of the keloid.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon