Self Conscious About my Saggy Breasts? (photo)

I have always had saggy breasts, just like I have always been overweight. I am 18, 5 ft tall and weigh around 263. I am looking to get down to around 120 or less. My bra size is 44C but I believe I could fit into a B because the C is a little big. I want a breast lift but I am nervous about going under anesthesia. I also want to make sure they can lift my breasts since they are very saggy. Any advice? Thanks!

Breast lift and weight loss

+2

I agree with the other posts that you should lose the weight first and then fix the breasts or you will need to do the surgery twice. Good Luck!

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Small Reduction

+2

You would benefit from a small reduction, which includes an uplift.  Definitely lose the weight you desire first. Anesthesia is very safe these days--make sure you have a board certified plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist.  Hope this helps.

Peter J. Simon, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

+2

Your breasts can be lifted, but my recommendation is to lose the excess weight first, for two reasons.  First, significant. weight reduction will improve your quality of life immeasurably more than breast lift.  Second, if you have the mastopexy (breast lift) and then lose the excess weight, your breasts will diminish in size, may even sag again, and the operation may need to be repeated, and you may want implants as well if the breasts get much smaller when you lose weight.  You CAN lose the weight, it is all mental, lifestyle, and you need the right help.  Choosing the right weight loss plan is like choosing the right surgeon:  Your success depends very much upon your selection.  Also, no matter what plan you choose, you share responsibility for the result.

Steve Laverson, MD

Treating “Saggy” Breasts after Weight Loss?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

At some point, you will be an excellent candidate for breast lifting ( plus or minus breast  augmentation)  surgery.  You should, however achieve a long-term stable weight prior to undergoing any type of breast surgery. Doing so will increase the safety of the procedure and  decrease the chances that revision breast surgery will be necessary ( if you lose weight after having had the breast operation performed).

When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly.

Best wishes with your weight loss program.

Breast Lift

+1

Yes, I would also agree that losing weight first will make you a better surgical candidate in terms of safety, and you will be happier with the result if you lose weight first. As you lose weight, your breast size will decrease as well. Once you have reached your ideal weight, a breast lift will get rid of the saggy appearance. You are not alone in your anxiety regarding
anesthesia. A young patient as yourself, can typically undergo anesthesia with few complications if they are a healthy weight and have no other medical issues, which is another reason to achieve a
healthy weight prior to surgery. Make sure you select a board certified plastic surgeon that operates in an accredited surgical facility with board certified anesthesiologists. Good luck to you!

Morgan E. Norris, MD, FACS

Breast Lift

+1

For several years I have been using a 'vertical scar' technique for most breast reductions, which eliminates the long, horizontal incision in the inframammary fold below the breasts. I have also adapted this technique for breast lift surgery, and have been extremely pleased with the results. As with breast reduction patients, this new technique not only eliminates the horizontal incision, but also creates more impressive breast projection and maintains it better over time. The breast lift procedure I perform not only removes breast skin but also moves some lower pole breast tissue to a higher position, increasing the projection of the nipple/areola area.

Breast lift surgery works well for patients with enough existing breast tissue to build a projecting 'breast mound'. However, in most breast lift Raleigh / Durham patients it is difficult to create sustainable fullness in the upper poles of the breasts by means of a mastopexy alone. This is particularly true in patients who have experienced significant deflation following pregnancy and lactation. For patients who indicate that they wish to achieve a fair amount of fullness in the cleavage area as a result of their breast lift surgery, I recommend that they undergo augmentation mastopexy. This surgery combines a breast lift with the placement of a breast implant usually of modest size, which produces the most youthful breast profile possible.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Self Conscious About my Saggy Breasts?

+1

Losing the weight first will make your operation safer and produce a better outcome. Were you to do this procedure now and then lose 100 pounds or so, you will probably be facing another breast procedure as you lose more volume and have more sagging. 

Thank you for your question, and for the photo. Best wishes. 

To Lose Weight Before or After Breast Lift

+1

If you have a significant amount of weight to lose, always lose the weight first.  Otherwise, you will likely need two breast lift procedures.  Good luck with the weight loss.

Self Conscious about my Saggy Breasts

+1

Hello,  Breasts shape can easily change according with significant "gain-lose" weight processes  ; my recommendation is to lose the excess weight first, before going under breast Surgery, for a long term results. Under Certified Anesthesiologist you should be fine. 

Best Wishes.

Ricardo Vega, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and breast surgery

+1

Dear kcb315,

Thanks for submitting your pictures. If you are planning to lose 143 lbs , it will be smarter to do it after you have lost the weight. Otherwise your breast might be too small with too much skin laxity after such a large weight loss. There is a book by the name - 'Sugar busters' . It is required reading by all my patients.  It discusses in plane English, the physiology of fat production by the body . It gives recommendation for weight loss by changing the type of food that you should it. It will help you tremendously to lose weight and keep it away for the long term.

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon