Is Bio Alcamid a Good Permanent Filler?

I really don't like fillers that have to be repeated constantly. Through time, I have seen a "dragging" effect on friends of mine; likewise with Botox. Is Bio-alcamid a good permanent filler? Thank you.

Bio-Alcamid

+3

This is a filler used in other parts of the world that is fabricated of a polysacrylamide gel. Contact lenses are made of this material.

There are many other products that are based on this material as well. One such example is Aquamid, which is about 97.5% water.

This tends to be injected using a depot technique, which means one injection and it is pumped into an area creating a pool of material that may scar or create a cyst like mass. Although this can be considered a disadvantage, sometimes it is an advantage if you want to remove the material.

Aquamid is feathered and layered throughout the tissues creating a softer effect. As stated it is primarily water, whereas the Bio Alcamid is primarily gel.

Neither are currently approved for use in the US.

Your face changes over time, so should filler services

+3

Dear Secrets,

Bio-alcamid is a so called bio-compatible permanent facial filler intended for fat loss seen in individuals who are HIV positive and have lost facial fat which is a side effect of the anti-retroviral medications. This product is not FDA approved and therefore not available in the United States unless the product has been illegally imported in the country. It is available in Mexico, Canada and Europe.

Remember issues that are acceptable for treating lipodystrophy are not acceptable for less dramatic conditions affecting facial volume (like facial aging). The company claims that the product does not produce granulomas but they also state that the material is incorporated into a capsule and that it should be possible to squeeze the material out if the need arises. Maybe that is so, maybe not.

For those of you not familiar with the history of facial fillers, it is a long history of many, many claims that did not live up to the initial hype. One must be very careful so you don't end up as facial filler road kill. Permanent fillers have not stood the test of time. Will Bio-alcamid be different? Time will tell. If you are HIV positive and have lipoatrophy, this product might be worth while.

For the rest of us, Restylane and Perlane now have an excellent track record. The lack of permanence should be viewed in the plus column when weighing the positive and negatives of these products. Restylane and Perlane persist up to 18 months and more. It is my opinion that products that last longer than this are not compatible to how our faces age. What you need today and what you need two years from now will be different. Don't buy yourself a heap of trouble down the road to save a few dollars today.

Is Bio Alcamid a Good Permanent Filler?

+2

Bio Alcamid isn't avialable here in the US but is used elsewhere around the world.  I have had experience removing Bio Alcahmid that has shifted and moved position sometimes causing the face to appear distotrted and unattractive.  Permanent fillers are injected into the fatty tissues, of the face, however these tissues do not stay in one place but rather sag and shift with aging.  So the Bio Alcamid that was used to shape the cheeks will shift towards to nose and mouth IMO, within as early as 3-5 years of being placed.

For this reason, I avoid using any permenent fillers for facial shaping and contouring but would use cheek implants where aesthetically appropriate.  Temporary fillers like Perlane and Radiesse offer great temporary facial shaping IMO.  

Be sure that the MD you select for fillers understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the craetion of a naturally, more attrcative face as there's no inherent magic in any filler.  The magic must lie in the aesthetic eye of the MD.

Bioalcamid complications - Los Angeles

+1

Bioalcamid has its benefits, but I have helped many patients remove the filler after it has caused complications. For this reason, I do not advocate its use. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS