Is additional lipo necessary after full tummy tuck? (Photo)

I am scheduled for full tummy tuck in 8 weeks, I am in my DWR at 153 pounds and 5'6", I have lots of loose skin after losing 115 pounds via gastric bypass in 2003. my surgeon doesn't feel I need additional lipo above what he normally does during a full TT ....looking at my pics do you feel I do or will a full TT give me the result I am hoping for?

additional lipo necessary after full tummy

+4
Maybe your surgeon is being safe. In Florida we can ONLY remove 1 liter of fat in combination with a full TT... 

Is additional lipo necessary after full tummy tuck?

+3
Based on your photos I would say that - by far - the largest percentage of your improvement will be via the tummy tuck, which is often the case for patients who have excess skin, particularly after a gastric bypass.  Adding lipo to the procedure can increase some of the risks but, more than that, will result in some extra loose skin, which may not be a good trade.

I think your surgeon is guiding you well.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Liposuction Needed with Tummy Tuck?

+2
Congratulations on your weight loss, and especially on keeping the pounds off!  Based on your photos it appears your main issue is lots of extra skin.  A tummy tuck is the answer for that.  A bit of complementary liposuction may be of benefit, but focus on the tummy tuck, because that is the procedure that will really provide the most benefit.  Best of luck!

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction after a tummy tuck

+2
In some cases where the patient has a full abdomen with both fat and skin, liposuction may needed after the tummy tuck. Liposuction can be performed during a tummy tuck but not as much as is done when doing liposuction alone. If a personn needs a great deal of liposuction it is safer to separate the procedures.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

+2
A tummy tuck would produce a very nice result.

Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year, has great reviews, and has great before and after pictures.

You are a good candidate for a tummy tuck

+2
Congratulations on your weight loss you look fantastic.

Based on your photographs a full tummy tuck with limited liposuction should give you an excellent result.  Please follow your plastic surgeons advice.  Extensive liposuction during the course of a full tummy tuck is dangerous and could cause wound healing problems.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

TT

+2
Thank you for the pictures and congrats on the weight loss !!

I would combine liposuction to the waist, upper and lower back. These procedures complete the shape enhancing of the body and specially after all the weight loss. I would also transfer fat to the buttocks area as well.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

TT and lipo

+2
Start with the TT. You should not have aggressive lipo at the same time as a TT as this could affect healing of the flaps. Also it is important to have an indication of how elastic your skin with be postoperatively.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

TT +/- liposuction

+2
Hard to answer this. I know neither what you are hoping for, nor what is normal for your surgeon to do as far as liposuction during a TT. 

Some amount of liposuction will add to the improvement you can expect, but only your surgeon can tell you what he has in mind. 

Thanks for your question, all the best