Binder Suggestion?

I will be having a MM in February. I have been looking at the binders and I was wondering if anyone can give me a suggestion of which one to buy? I will be having the extended tummy tuck and Breast lift with implants. I went to a major department store and saw Flexees and Spanx. Do I need the kind that has the undies built in? Thank you in advance for your advice!

Binders should be decided before surgery

+2

I would check with your plastic surgeon to see if he/she will provide you with a binder or if one needs to be fitted for you.

Garment choice for mommy makeover

+2

You should ask your plastic surgeon.  There are several choices in abdominal binders.  Each plastic surgeon has her own preference.  Usually, I use abdominal binder for 3 weeks; then, I go with second stage garment such as Spanx for another 3 weeks.

Sugene Kim, MD

MM garments

+2

Your garment will depend much on how much surgery was done.  You mentioned that the scar will go all the way around so that helps but it also depends on how heavy you are and if much tissue will be undermined for closure.  In general, find a garment that you are able to take off.  I typically wait for spanx until a few weeks have passed.  You'll need two so you can wash one (at least) while wearing the other.  They'll get dirty quickly at first then not so much later so don't go buying a bunch of them.  Look online and you'll find many companies but they all require measurements and yours are about to change.  Ask your plastic surgeon, he'll be placing one on you at the time of surgery. 

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Binders for mommy makeover

+2

This is surgeon dependent. I usually have my patients contact Marena or Veronique to get a garment that I have chosen for them.

Mommy makeover and binder requirements

+2

You should talk to your surgeon, this should be provided at the time of surgery.  After the first couple of weeks, you can change to a second stage garment- there are many on the internet and many offices carry them too.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

MM and binders

+2

Most practices, including ours, provide an abdominal binder for our mommy-makeover and tummy tuck patients. For stage II compression wear, store-bought garments are fine.  Spanx makes a good product.  You don't need to have the underwear built in.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Mommy Makeover Binders

+2

Most plastic surgery practices will provide you with a binder immediately after surgery.   If they are requesting you to buy one, I would ask them for the appropriate recommendation.   I typically recommend having two 4 panel binders, unless you are short in height.  I believe it is important for the binder to span from the bottom of the breast bone to the pubic bone to fully protect your muscle repair while you move, cough, or sneeze.  Occassionally the binder may rub on the breast incision.   If this is the case, have your plastic surgeon cut the binder around this area to prevent would irritation.  

Paul S. Gill, MD

Binder Options

+2

There are a lot of options of tummy tuck binders.  Please talk to your plastic surgeon to find out what he/she recommends.   Compression therapy helps manage the postoperative swelling. 

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Compression garments for Mommy Makeover

+2

I would discuss the speicific needs with your surgeon. The Spanx like garments and even the Cupid brand at Walmart are all reasoanble stage II garments. Smething more may be required during the early postoperative period. Most of the commercial garments do not have front easy access on/off applicaitons or opeinings for personal hygiene.  

Gartment for Mommy makeover

+2

It is important to use a garment after any tummy tuck or liposuction procedure.The use of garments help to compress a potential space that is created after liposuction or a tummy tuck. By compressing  the skin against the muscle the garment help prevent hematomas and seromas .( fluid collections). Your plastic surgeon will provide you with a  garment or advice you as to the best garment for you after surgery.

Jaime Perez M.D  Tampa Mommy makeover surgeon

Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD